Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Fit and Purchase
Quote | Reply
I've been researching a new bike for quite a while now. Following the advice of many here on this board, I went to a bike shop to get fitted on a Serotta fit machine before deciding what bike to buy. I had been looking at compact geometry road bikes (Giant TCR, Specialized Allez Comp and Cervelo Soloist) and it ends up that would have been a mistake for me. I need a more traditional road bike since I have longer legs and shorter torso like most women. I ended up buying a used Trek 2200 from the shop that they were selling for a client of theirs. The frame looked new to me (I think it's a 2003) and the shop put on all new Ultegra components. The bike was $1,500 CAD. With Profile Design aerobars, new SPD pedals and a new helmet, the total came to $2,050 CAD (approx $1,677 USD). I think it was a pretty good deal. All I know is that I have a bike that fits me well, has the components I wanted and didn't break the bank. Here's a pic (I'm set up pretty high for now with the intention of moving lower by the springtime):

Thanks to everyone for their advice. It is not an easy process, but I'm glad I took the time. I really think there's a market out there for "bike purchase brokers" - someone to hold your hand through the bike buying process. :)

D.
Last edited by: DawnT: Jan 18, 05 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit and Purchase [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dawn,

That's one fine looking ride. You should enjoy riding it even more because the fit is correct.

Ride safe and enjoy.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Dawn. Looks good, but I'd definitely want to see your front end a little lower come race season.

As for your idea about a "bike purchase broker" that is actually a service I provide as part of my new venture. Just helped a client find a sweet deal online for a barely used demo litespeed. Saved her about $1400 local pricing, and with a pre-purchase fit analysis we were confident in the fit of the bike sight unseen. There is alot of scary stuff out there packaged to look good to the unwitting consumer. I dealt with it all the time when I was at the shop, guy gets deal on bike, then finds out it a)doesn't fit properly, or b)has so much outdated componentry that it's going to cost him the price of a new bike to upgrade and make it current.

It's nice to know that I saw a correct need there.

Maybe we'll see you on the roads around T.O this spring on your new ride.

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You also have your seat back a bit. Was that a compromise for handling issues or because you are an experienced roadie and prefer to be back further?

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit and Purchase [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your comments everyone. I'm really looking forward to getting lots of miles in this year.

Ian - I definitely think your services are in need for someone like me. I understand the concepts when I read them, but putting them into practice is a whole other kettle of fish. Also, I just don't have the time to shop around to all the various bike stores to find out what is available and what may fit me. It took me 2 full years to find this bike, mostly due to lack of time.

Robert - How can you tell from just the pic of the bike that I need to have the seat back further? Doesn't it matter where and how my body sits on the bike and what position I'm in when I'm riding? This bike is fit according to my measurements on the Serotta fit machine other than the bars being higher. Obviously, it's going to take some tweaking once I get riding a bit, but when I get on the bike in the current position and spin, it feels nice and easy. Everything just feels right. My old bike (a borrowed one) was too long for me, so it was always a long reach to the handlebars and was very uncomfortable for the entire ride. I didn't even try getting on aerobars.

Also, this is my first time on aerobars. That's another reason why I'm up so high right now. We just decided it made sense to keep me up high and comfy right now and then we'll lower it down in a month or two. I'm not concerned about being aero on the trainer. :)

D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dawn:
I'm not suggesting you move your seat. That is something you have to be comfortable with. I was just observing that it is back quite a bit further than I have mine, for instance. I'm even considering going back to a more laid back position for IM Lake Placid so I was really wondering about the thinking that went into that position.

When it comes to bike position and wheels, triathletes are of many minds and moods. You will see just about anything out there....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply