Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wine country bike tours
Quote | Reply
Anybody ever been on one? Mrs. Vitus and I are considering taking one for our anniversary, and I'm not sure where to start the research. Any info/advice is appreciated.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Wine country bike tours [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you live? there are some good tours in Ontario.
Quote Reply
Re: Wine country bike tours [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We live in Idaho. How's the weather in Ontario towards the end of May?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never been on one, but Sonoma and Napa county (Northern CA) are beautiful in the spring. A friend of mine just took his wife on a B&B tour by bike through some of the local towns around here. If you want route suggestions for a do-it-yourself tour, let me know what your fitness level(s) and mileage requirements are and I'll do my best. I've been on just about every road in Sonoma, Napa, and Northern Marin counties. good luck.

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Trek Travel one last year and it was fantastic. Besides the great riding, the lodging and food was incredible. Use their bikes since they have a full trailor of parts to change out things if needed and you don't have to worry about your own getting messed up. I was on a Trek 5200 and I guess they use Madone 5.2's now. www.trektravel.com As an fyi, I have nothing to do with the bike/fitness business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Backroads does a good Wine Country trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a trip with www.bicycleadventures.com last summer through glacier national park and the canadian rockies. One of the best trips of my life. Had an absolute blast. My wife and I were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. The food was top notch, the hotels were epic, the guides were fantastic. I would definitely recommend them. They do several different trips through the wine country. Check it out.

Check out my website
http://www.drlanceheppler.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Vitus 979

By the way do you still have 979?

Ok so it’s a wine country tour you want, are we talking Napa, Ca? backroads has a very nice tour that will run you all over the Napa valley and over in to Sonoma and up by Healdsburg, my wife and I actually like the riding up in Healdsburg better less traffic!!

And you should look at Vermont bike tours also, the Back roads tour cost more but stay at nicer B & B, but we have taken a Vermont bike tours in Vermont and they did a super job, if your going to use the tour companies bikes Back roads has better steeds.

You can get a good map and do your own thing; there are some very nice B & B in Calistoga our favorite place to stay in the Napa valley. So if you go and your wife is up to a longer ride make sure you do pope chillie Valley loop and doing the ink grade one of the best rides on the planet!!!

Have fun!

Bikedude

P.S. were in Idaho?

Quote Reply
Re: Wine country bike tours [bikedude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I "still" have a 979- got it used not all that long ago. First real bike. Live in Post Falls.

Thanks for the help, everyone. It's going to take awhile to sort through all the outfits recommeded here- I was originally thinking Napa Valley, but looking at the sites, maybe we'll try something a bit closer to home. That Glacier National Park trip looks pretty cool . . . except maybe for the weather at the time of year we're thinking about. . . Decisions, decisions . . .

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"We live in Idaho"

Well that explains everything !! :) Just kidding.

Weather is usually very nice at the end of May.

I remember seeing some info last year about cycling trips in wine country at the Toronto Bike Show. The show is the first weekend in March so I'll pay more attention this year and see what we can find. Maybe my wife and I might even join you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might enjoy the movie "Sideways". Its about two guys who take a road trip to the wine country before one of them gets married. You and Mrs. Vitus will get some laughs.
Quote Reply