Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seattle Pools (Save the Fishie)
Quote | Reply
The fishie and I are moving to Seattle. The fishie needs a pond/gym near the future downtown office (701 5th Ave.). Please help the fishie with a pool recommendation if you can. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Pools (Save the Fishie) [bryanjaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a friend swims in a masters program at the seattle athletic club.
http://www.sacdt.com/downtown/index.html
Anther friend swims at the master's program at the connoly center through a swim club.
http://www.swimseattle.org/masters.php.

My used to swim lapswim at the downtown Y but hated it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides the downtown YMCA (pool in the basement) the gym across the street has a 20 yd pool (maybe less).

If you can travel just a bit, Medgar Evars is a city pool about 5 min east by car.

http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/aquatics/everspool.htm

Right now in conjunction with their lap swim schedule (MWF 6:30 – 7:30am & T/Th 7:00 – 8:00 pm) the city is offering a “Masters Workout” program. They reserve 3 lanes for this program and provide a “coached” workout. Can not say enough about this program, great coach (former UW swimmer, current pvt club coach). New work out every day, keeping things very interesting for all levels of swimmers from former collegiate to newbies.

Hope to see you there.

You work for BOFA? I used to work in that building.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Pools (Save the Fishie) [gbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am joining Cascadia Capital, who is moving into the B of A building in April (they think).

Thanks for the info on Medgar Evans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have trained at the U of W, with their Master's program for the past couple of years, but now have moved to south Capitol Hill. I noticed this pool while driving on 23rd (Medger Evars). When does the Masters team train - time, schedule etc..? What is the typical set load and skill level? Can you tell me who the coach is and how I can get more info on this program. And lastly, what are the dues?

Thanks-

Does anyone else have any recommendations for Master's programs in this area of Seattle?

Quote | Reply
Right now we are not a formal “masters team” although we are looking into forming one. Hopefully soon.

As it stands, during normal lap swim hours, MWF 6:30 – 7:30am & T/Th 7:00 – 8:00pm, you have the option of a $3.50 lap swim or a $4.75 masters workout. You may want to keep an eye on the above link because I think the city is going to change the hours in the next month or so.

For Medgar Evars, the city hired Pat Hughes to “coach” the workouts. He is currently the coach of the Central Area Aquatic Team (CAAT) and is coaching us as well. Like I said he is a great coach. He usually sets up two to three work outs for different abilities/lanes. So my wife (former Div 1 swimmer) and I (MOP on a good day) will do similar but different workouts. So I guess I am saying the work out is as much or as little as you like. Some stay for 90 min and he keeps adding more, others leave after 45 mins after doing a partial set.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only pool I have swam in there is the Federal Way pool where they use to hold the Washington Open (back in my swimming days), and numerous Junior and Senior National swim meets. Still my all time favorite pool....with IUPUI pool in Indy a close second.

Sorry wasn't what you were looking for, defenetly worth checking out though some time!

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not lived in Seattle for about 6 years but there was a city park pool on Queen Anne hill. I used to swim at the Green Lake pool. This was not so much based on location as it was the conversations in the sauna after the workout. The Green Lake pool sauna was probably the most politically and social issue charged.

Everbody looks good at the starting line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the Redmond/Kirkland area ???

Any good pools? Teams??

USMS Website doesn't list much -- but in Hawaii they do not list three Master Clubs either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I travel to Seattle I work out at the Washington Athletic Club. They have a decent pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Pools (Save the Fishie) [Kagemusha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you like the rest of their gym?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not used the gym facitity that much, but my basic impressions were good.It is not as modern as a 24 hour fitness type club, but the club itself is more than a work out facility. I sometimes actually stay in the Club's guest rooms depending on where in Seattle my business is taking place.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Pools (Save the Fishie) [Kagemusha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan,

I am a member of the Washington Atheltic Club. They have a nice pool and a good master's group - it is small and nearly 1-on-1 coaching from Jenn. The rest of the athletic part of the club is great, not overly populated and equipment is always clean and working.

If you ever want to go in for a visitor pass, let me know. You need 2 sponsors to get in but we can handle that. The other aspects of the club are nice; wine dinners, VIP passes to special events, etc...

BTW - I also own a tri shop in Seattle.

John

john@triumph-multisport.com www.triumph-multisport.com

John Teeters
866-508-4676
john@triumph-multisport.com
http://www.triumph-multisport.com

Quote Reply