Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything below 50F is just too cold for me. :D I'd rather sit in front of a roaring fire and keep my poor little fingers and toes warm.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAA I live in Floriduh. :) Seriously though, I have run in 30s and 40s, and I just plain don't like it. I have other excersizes and workouts that I can do indoors. I guess I'm just spoiled by the weather here, but then again I can also run easily in the 100F/100% humidity that happens every day from May to November. (And I usually run during the middle of the afternoon for added effect!) We need a different thread....how HOT does it have to be before you'll stop running outside!

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it was 1 deg this morning and I RAN TO MY CAR does that count.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my 3rd year of running in the winter so far in Chicago. I've set two records this winter. First run at 0 degrees (although it was sunny) on Christmas Eve. And then this morning we ran at 1 degree temps in the DARK at 5:45AM. I used to swear I would EITHER run in the dark or the cold but not both. Oh well, it was a calm, clear morning and neither one of us slipped on the ice that was on the paths in certain sections. A successful 5 mile run was had although we both had frosty eyelashes and hair by the end of the run.
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [sebBo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...it was about 0-5F and my gel was frozen!! so i stood there in the middle of nowhere, totally out of gas and no calories in reach. it took me a couple of minutes to warm up the gel ...
This is why I run w/ the gels in my hands (under the gloves).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to live in the Chicago Suburbs (Bloomingdale) and ran all winter. Coldest was a 10 miler at -28º. Coldest ever was in Clear Lake WI in February, -37º, which felt better than 0º because it was dry.

I'd rather run in fresh falling snow than any other conditions I can think of. Worst thing is rain and 40º or less. Now THAT is cold!!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cold winter rain sucks, especially when you get those thermoclines that warm up the snow so that it rains below freezing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday it was -26C (-7F), with a windchill factor that made it seem much colder - that's too frigid for me. Today is "nicer", around -15C (1F) with not much wind, and I'll run for about 45 minutes. That's not because I'll get cold at that point, as it's always the first ten minutes or so that are the most uncomfortable, but rather that's all I'm scheduled to do. However, on a day such as today I probably wouldn't run for longer than 90 minutes just because that seems to be tempting the fates too much, or maybe too blatently thumbing my nose at Mother Nature.

My favorite running route is along a parkway that bisects the St.Lawrence River, and it is a popular spot for ice-fisherfolk. They always look at me as if I'm stone daft to be running in such cold, but I wonder how they manage to keep warm STANDING STILL on the ice for hours at a time. Kind of the same thing with snowmobilers, who also stare at me - but they are the ones who not only aren't generating their own body heat, but are traveling at high speeds into very cold air. With the right clothing, running in the cold is not a miserable experience (although getting out the door to do it often is!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9 F this morning, in the dark. Planned on 8 miles, figured I'd wimp out at 6...actually did only 5! My toes are still frozen.....

Now I know my limit.......
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [hog's back] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's snowing today, abnout 2 inches, so far. Is this a good time for a run (I just got back from skiing)?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many times have you got home from work donned all the gear, shoes, tights, 3 layers, beanie, headlamp....and then just said fuggeddaboutit, cracked a beer and turned on the TV?

Been there a few times.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, done that.......
I ran today it was 38 here in Atlanta.............it was not too bad.......

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: how cold does it have to be before you'll stop running outside? [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nahhh! that never happens, I are a dedicated athalete.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was -4 F this morning as I left for my 5 miler. It's never too cold!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cross-country skiing, I presume? If so, just be careful of your achilles tendons. I ski in the "classic" style (someday I'll learn to "skate-ski!), and this is the third year straight that I have gently strained my achilles during the first couple of ski sessions. Maybe, just maybe, i ought to devote some time to stretching those suckers, starting in early November. In general, though, I try to keep my skiing and running on separate days, or at least about 6 hours apart if on the same day. Happy trails!
Quote Reply

Prev Next