Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PLS HELP: Recovering Polar training info...
Quote | Reply
This weekend I was hit by a particularly nasty virus which ended up deleting my windows system file - this now means that my pc (home pc) won't even boot up. I have figured out a plan to back-up all my files this evening using another computer but am wondering if I have lost all my training data / HR curves from my Polar software (diary).

I've done a bit of research and it looks like I can simply locate the existing Polar directory and copy the files with a .hrm (heart rate) and .dbf (database/diary). Once I've installed the software (after formatting C:) it looks like I can simply paste the copied files into the new directories - when I load up the diary it should find all the old data. Has this happened to anyone before? if so, what did you do? or is there a better way? Your help would be appreciated. thanks.

tom

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Last edited by: callidus: Jan 17, 05 1:51
Quote Reply
Re: PLS HELP: Recovering Polar training info... [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you should be able to get the data off, as you said. What OS are you using, eg. WinXP? What type of error message are you getting that you can't boot up?

If the polar software is like anyother software, you are right, all you should need are the data files that you can open with a fresh copy of the program. If you can get the files off, install the software on another computer and try to open them, before reformatting your old computer.

John Heiss
PhD Biochemistry, UCLA
Founder, Prolong Energy
http://www.prolongenergy.com
Quote Reply
Re: PLS HELP: Recovering Polar training info... [jkh2828] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey jkh2828,

I will be trying that tonight, hope it will work. I am running XP. I get this message:

"Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

It sucks. I have found a couple solutions but the one I'm going for is to remove my harddrive, set it as a 'slave' and put it in another pc so that I can read the data files (this way windows will not start up). I will then back-up everything, format my old harddrive and re-install everything (that will suck).

I'll see if I can install the polar software on antother pc first - that makes sense.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have an XP disk or can get one, you can use the recovery console to get your machine back. Microsoft KB: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

It may be easier to just rebuild if you have a fairly basic install though.

I am sure you can just copy those folders over onced recovered.

Couple of friendly suggestions:) Once you have your machine back up and running create an Emergency Repair Disk (ERD). You might also want to consider backing up to DVD, CD or tape on a regular basis. wink wink;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I went through the whole procedure last night and for anyone that's interested it's actually fairly easy to recover the Polar training info. All you have to do is re-install the Polar software and set up an account with your name. Once that is done you simply copy the account folder from the previously installed version and replace (making sure the name is the same) the new folder. When you start it back up all the info is there. Great.

Quote Reply