Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RACING FLATS???
Quote | Reply
This year I am competing in both sprint/olympic (int'l) and 2 ironman races. I have been researching racing flats for the shorter races up to half ironman distance. I have looked at new balance and diadora ones.

Does anyone use purely racing flats for the races and can you recommend any particular one or do you use a training shoe for the races???

Thanks for all your help with this issue.
Quote Reply
Re: RACING FLATS??? [rambo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i train and race (ironmans) in asic ds trainers which i think are classified as performance trainers. they're pretty light weight though (10.5 oz?) - i don't think you'd want to run a marathon in racing flats unless you were really light and super efficient. i may try the new balance 900s this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pretty much train in only racing flats. I would not recommend using flats for long races unless you train in a fairly light, flexible shoe.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Saucony Fastwitch, I suppose it depends on your preference and foot. The lighter shoe definitely helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it really depends on your running style and the type of support/ cushioning you are used to and need. As for me, I am really a minimalist when it comes to running shoes. I train half the time in the New Asics DS Racer, which is a great shoe and a little heavier than the racing flats I run road races in. They would be good for someone who is looking to run a variety of races with them. Have done up to 20+ in these and they are very comfortable .
If you want a nice light racing flat to race those short races in I would look at Nikes. I know their trainers last about 2 miles, but they really have the best racing flats and spikes out there. Any of the Air Streak, Zoom Marathon, and Streak Vapor are real nice in my opinion. I have run tons of races between in 5k and half marathons in the streak xc and they are great. If you need more support and cushioning, go for a lightweight trainer as mentioned before. Ascis DS Trainer, Gel Flash and the Nike zoom Eiltes are good IMO.
Nike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never ever over look fit or it will come back to haunt you. New Ballance are good because they do multiple widths.

Also for Ironman pay very close attention to the construction of the upper. In Hawaii I raced in a shoe that every physio, podiatrist and even shoe seller said I was mad. It was a Nike air Presto. Very spongy sole with virtually no support and a slip on, seemless neoprene like upperwith a plastic/rubber "cage" instead of laces.

My reasoning was that a shoe with little support is going to catch you out and result in injuries after 100's of ks not 42. A too hard a sole or seams, laces and other pressure points will rub and cause blisters, discomfort and impeed performance in as few as 5 to 10 k, especiallly when the feet are in an already delicate state, as in starting an Ironman marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: RACING FLATS??? [Diamond Adam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try the Nike Air Zoom Elite's. I was give one pair to test out and loved them. Have three pair right now, two of which are my "racing flats"

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: RACING FLATS??? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I tried a pair a week ago. Beautiful. There is a Nike Factory shop about 1km down the road from me in Perth West Australia. They have all these wierd and wonderfull shoes that don't often make it into mainstream shops out here in Australia. (it is where I got the Prestos) Best of all they flog them off cheap!

The more I see of them the more I tend to like the Nike lightweight racing shoes. All seem to have extremely comfortable uppers and soft soles. In theory not good for high mileage trainers but magic for one off races.

My first Ironman was in Asic Ds Trainers which were good but the uppers were slightly too narrow and combined with a stiff "supportive" lateral area caused pain and discomfort at the end of the run. Also the Nike's sole is a lot softer sure no support but it is like running on pillows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used Asics DS racers for the past 3 years (i've retired them now that i've won some brooks racers.. havn't tried those out yet though) anyhow.. I've raced 5 through 1/2 marathon on the asics, never had a problem with them.. and find them just awsome for 10 k off the bike. Highly recommend!

-david
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few good ones on the market, I've found most shoe stores don't carry racing flats as they are not big sellers.. so you'll likely have to mail order.

I use the Saucony Fastwitch. 7.6oz, nice and light.
I find Saucony shoes are a great fit for my feet:
- strong tight heel counter for no slippage
- wider toebox for no blisters

I would wear them for any distance up to marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: RACING FLATS??? [katokalin22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the DS Magic Racer and have found them to be great at all distances. Longest I have done so far in them is 80km. They already had 4 marathons in them by then but they were still great.

I'm experimenting with an even lighter shoe at the moment - I need to get some training miles in them and then I can decide what distance race they will be good for.
Quote Reply
Re: RACING FLATS??? [Diamond Adam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of those. Very comfy for walking around. I tried running a 5k and ended up with a bruised heel. I also weigh over 200 pounds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: RACING FLATS??? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
90% of AG triathletes that use flats should not be doing so. i find it truly funny when triathletes i see at races/training (with terrible form and a heavy footstrike) choose 'racing flats' as their shoe. my friends and i wince at their every stride. it is just another vain attempt to 'look' fast - and cool - in some crazy purple shoe that weighs 6oz - while in effect the shoe does more much harm than good. the posers using these shoes are the same folks that ride carbon aero wheels and tt bars on the weekend century ride with the local roadie club. if you are not racing for the win i would advise getting some trainers that fit well thus saving your legs. if you are are a flyweight with great form and you are a top placer- then the weight savings could be well worth it.

tris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just tried Nike Mayflys for a half-marathon today. I didn't push too hard as I was experimenting with my HRM, as well. The shoes worked great,though. I don't have any biomechanical issues and am mostly a forefoot striker or a very light heel striker. The only repercussions are the calloused balls of my feet slightly separated and are on the edge of being blisters, but I think they'll settle in to just being thicker. I'm very happy with the shoes up to a half. I don't think they'd provide me enough for a full. I'm 180 lbs, by the way, and held about a 7:15 average/162 bpm.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: RACING FLATS??? [tristan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ultimate racing flats - Abebe Bikila winning the Olympic Marathon on the cobble stone streets of Rome.

Time 2 hrs 15 mins 16 secs. (New world record)

Footwear - none.

Nothing absords impact better than the human foot - not Gel, Air, Hydroflow, Adiprene. Trouble is you cant market that although I see Nike have brought out some super lightweight flexible shoe that is designed as "A pilates workout for your Feet."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re a neutral runner try the Nike Mayfly. I love mine; wicked light, decent cushioning but only good for 100K (Nike's recommendation). If you’re looking for something slightly more beefy, look at Mizuno's racing line. They are difficult to find but IMO, Mizuno makes some of the finest running shoes on the market today.

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flats work very well for some and can be almost dangerous for others.

I'd suggest spending some time at the LSS. Unless your foot structure can handle anything out there and you can automatically adjust your foot strike and stride....this kind of question....to me...is kinda like asking what color to paint the kitchen. Very individualized. Just my 2 cents.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the shorter distances I use Brooks T3 Racers, for longer races I use Saucony Fastwitch Speed. Both are very light, but the Saucony has a bit more support that I find helpful when my form starts to break down late in longer races.

Don
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever used Diadora flats?

These look very cool: http://www.diadora.com/...ng/scheda.do?pid=614

Quote Reply
Re: RACING FLATS??? [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, those look pretty well thought out!

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the Saucony Fasttwitch
Quote Reply