Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Adaptogens/ Rhodiola
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried taking herbal adaptogen supplements such as rhodiola to manage the symptoms of "overtraining syndrome"? I did a couple of half ironmans this summer and due to training/ life stress I have had amenorrhea for about nine months now and have been constantly fatigued. I feel like I am getting slower and slower the more I train :(
After perusing the forum it looks like I am not alone! Like many of you I believe I have a healthy weight (I am 5'8" 145 lbs) and I don't think I am taking in too few calories. So, I don't think the problem is related to my diet.
If anyone has tried taking Rhodiola or a supplement like optygen I would love to hear you opinion!

Also here is the link to an article I read about cortisol/ overtraining syndrome and adaptogens that led me to investigate this in the first place:

http://blog.firstendurance.com/...athlete-should-care/
Quote Reply
Re: Adaptogens/ Rhodiola [KJA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you need a period of rest and recovery. No supplement will substitute
Quote Reply
Re: Adaptogens/ Rhodiola [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and make sure other medical issues are ruled out. when I started feeling fatigued and slow, it turned out to be hypothyroidism. common for women in 30s, esp those who have had children.

sometimes taking a week or a month off structured training can result in better future performances.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use rhodiola, but not to manage overtraining or overreaching. I use it on a regular basis and I think it helps my body deal with stress (from training and other things). I feel I recover faster when I am using it. If you're at the point where you think you're starting to overtrain, back off for a few days.
Quote Reply
Re: Adaptogens/ Rhodiola [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used Rhodiola with a few clients who have everything else right in an attempt to get that extra few percent out of them. However, it has never had profound effects. This is not to say it does nothing but its almost certainly not as powerful as some would have us believe. I'd go as far as to saying I guarantee it won't rectify your issues....

I wholeheartedly agree with 'squid' it really does sound like you need a period of rest and recovery, remember this is not always only related to your training volume but other life factors also.

As a nutritionist I'm obviously going to say that I imagine there are areas of your nutrition that probably need addressing so perhaps don't rule that out just yet.

Hope that helps

--
Martin MacDonald
Performance Nutritionist

http://www.Mac-Nutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice! I have two more races this season- so it is hard to take time off- but I am doing my best not to train more than I need to. I moved twice this summer, graduated from grad school, had to take my boards and find a new job which I will be starting in a week! So there are certainly more stressors in my life besides just training.
I guess I may have to drag my butt to the nutritionist or the doctor though. I am a nurse but I hate going to the doctor and avoid whenever possible. I hate it when they tell me things I don't want to hear like that I need to stop training :)
Quote Reply