Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheels for a big guy?
Quote | Reply
My Cervelo P2K will be here in a couple of weeks, and I can turn my mind to the aero wheels.

I am very concerned about weight. Not the wheels weight, but my own. On a good day in summer I am 86 kg, but more often I am 90+

I can get good deals on HED wheels and on Corima Aero. Tubular. But what wheels would be best for me? These? Others? Combinations? Anything else I need to consider?

Bent Olav Olsen, recreational triathlete?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels for a big guy? [tribent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why not? I have a Renn and an old Hed on the front. I also have a set of Velocity Spartacus clinchers, 20/24.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels for a big guy? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought that my weight would probably be a little too much for some of these rather lightweight wheels with few spokes? No?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why I have the 20/24. the Hed, I believe is 20, don't make run out to the garage to count, it's too cold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BOO, if you're concerned about your weight, get an H3 front (and rear, too, if you'd like) to go with a non-superlightweight rear disc. The H3 is nearly bombproof, and I would guess that most discs are fairly tough. The Spartacus Velocity wheelset is very durable...I use one with 14 guage straight spokes for training, and have hit some mightly nasty bumpage...never had to true them in over 2 years of riding....although, I don't know how "aero" it is. At your size, aero wheels may not be as important as sturdy, reliable wheels. But, like I said, the H3's are sturdy and reliable.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels for a big guy? [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply] At your size, aero wheels may not be as important as sturdy, reliable wheels. But, like I said, the H3's are sturdy and reliable.[/reply]

You're right of course and I have to admit, I'm not that concerned about "aero", or "light". In fact I would probably be happy enough with using the wheels I allready have (the colnago wheels on my other bike).

But it's allways nice to have something new and my wife thinks the P2K would look better with some aero wheels. And I agree with her of course.

The day I start arguing against my wife when she tells me I need to buy some new toys, I need to have my head examined. But I want something that I can use and that not brakes on my first ride.

I'm probably a poser. And I feel fine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribent,

http://zipp.com/products/wheels/404-clydesdale.shtml
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribent,

I have purchased and ruined more wheels than i care to talk about. I have a pair of hed 3's that I race and train on and they are bomb proof and the company is also great to deal with. Drop them an email or give a call and they will set you up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm heavier than you by a couple of kgs and I ride a Renn disc and a Nimble Fly with 24 radially laced spokes up front. I love the wheelset and have had no issues. Two great companies too, service/support rocks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also a clyde (Barely at 204). Got the ZIPP 404's that came with the bike. But if I were buying new, definitely the 404 Clydes. I actually have some Spynergy's that have held up well for training wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a look at mavic cosmic carbones.

Pretty much bomb proof although quite a bit heavier than a Zipp 404.

Very expensive for what they are (although quite a bit cheaper than Zipps) as there isn't much technology in there construction - basically a bladed spoke alloy wheel with a thermoplastic aerodynamic fareing.

I got a pair over Zipp 404's on the back of a recomendation from several very very good and experienced road cyclists (including aussie national criterium champ at 41yrs of age) that owned and worked in a high quality bike shop. Their reasoning "they are super stiff, very reliable and have fantastic rolling hubs, you will never notice the extra weight unless you are riding purely hilly courses and weigh next to nothing plus they are much more reliable than Zipps).

I purchased them (but not from that shop) and cant say I was disapointed.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels for a big guy? [Diamond Adam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diamond Adam,

One of the "gypsies" that rides on our Monday night club ride rode on a pair of Cosmic Carbones in early July. He broke a spoke, and then 3 more in quick succession. His ride was over and he was just a little guy, maybe 160 lbs at most.

At the end of September, he was still waiting for his wheels to be returned from being sent in for repair. It was a very sore subject for him. I guess he had his fingers crossed hoping he'd see them before Spring 2005.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hej Bent

Well, i am of excact same build as you......all muscle, right ?...... of +90kg (or 100) and 86kg for about 1 good day in summer, usually 14days before or after the race for which i intended to be slim!

Must be a scandinavian thing.

You will definitely need sturdy wheels and forego the light solutions of which the corimas are included in my opinion. I have owned a Corima disc which i rode 2 times and sold again as they where just too soft.

HED3's and Zipp 404 with min 24 spokes works for me and can hold my weight without problems. I have bought a quite nice (and cheap) I-zen disc wheel. Spoked wheel with carboncover and Tune hubs. On this brand you can chose a "extra strong" version with higher spokecount which i did. 2 friends and I ordered it directly from Germany and got a nice deal.

Looks really good on my P3 with the Zipp front wheel.

Hej fra

Jesper

København

Danmark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years back I bought a pair of ZIPP 440 rims from Zipp. The front is 24 spoke the rear 28 spoke. I had these laced up to Ultegra hubs with Bladed spokes. Let me tell you these are bullet proof!! Im 80kg and they havent moved slightly out of true. I have them respoked every 2000k or so. They have brass nipples.

"Your limits are self imposed"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are about my weight. I use the Specialized (Hed 3) tri-spoke wheels. They are just about bomb proof. I've hit some major pot holes and blown tires and they are still true. Very nice looking, too.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels for a big guy? [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank's for the help. I should forget about the Corima wheels I think, and either loose some weight or go for Hed 3 or Mavic Cosmic Carbon. The 404's would have been the right thing probably but I just can't afford them. Not sure I can afford the other ones either. But I'll rob a bank or something.

And to my danish friend asking if my kg's is mucles. The answere is no :-)

Fat, forty and flatulent

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any thoughts/experience on American Classic C-420? Or Zefiro C 38? They are not very expensive, are they any good?

Last edited by: tribent: Jan 19, 05 2:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, neither is mine :-) allthough i KNOW that underneath that layer of fat i have a really really great build.....

Alas - if i am too skinny i wont last long running and cycling in the Nordic winter. Skinne guys get sick all the time.....

We need a good excuse, dont we.

Hei fra Jesper
Last edited by: Viking: Jan 19, 05 6:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding AMC C420:

My training partner has them and uses them for training/race wheels. Cheap, yes, but not very stiff and not suitable for a real man of over 90kgs. He weighs only 80k and is now looking for Zipp 404 as he wants something more solid. Also the buildquality is not that great, allthough suitable to the low price.

There has been quite some discussion over the 420 in danish roadbike forums. Bottomline seems like they are fine for max 75kgs and besides they have a reputation for breaking down easily.

Link : http://www.feltet.dk/...;t=12940#reply_13018

Jesper
Last edited by: Viking: Jan 19, 05 6:30
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels for a big guy? [Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jesper. I see that bikebuster.dk sells F.I.R. Magestik now for 3400 DK. Seems like a good deal. Wheels from Bergamo can't be that bad ? :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never seen any FIR wheels up close actually, so i have no idea. However you should not believe the "normal retail" prices from Bikebuster, they are always too high. The wheel do look nice, but is difficult to compare. You should do a websearch to check for prices and verify that Bikebuster actually is selling them cheaply.

However you mentioned Zipp 404 - which are now quite expensive. You can actually get rebadged Zipp 404 wheels with orignial Zipp hubs for approx DKK 8000, in case you are interested. They are called "Carbonsport", but i guees that you will be further punished with importtax to Norway if you buy them here.

Still expensive but cheaper that the new price of DKK 11000
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels for a big guy? [Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Jesper (by the way I have sendt you an PM). Seems like I have to face the fact that if I want something that is good, light and strong I have to pay the price. But I can't persuade myself into buying wheels that is 2/3 the price of my soon-to-be delivered p2k.

Who sells those Carbonsport?

Quote Reply