Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Closing the cup."
Quote | Reply
I was fitted on my new bike and my fitter talked about "closing the cup." He angled my forearms up about 15 degrees, to block some of the air that would be caught by my stomach while in the aero position. I was looking at some time trial pictures and most of them had their fore arms positioned either horizontally or slightly downward. Is "closing the cup" an antiquated concept?

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: "Closing the cup." [E-Z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. It's been studied half to death, and (by my read anyway) it's a concept that didn't hold up in the wind tunnel.

That said however, some people are more comfortable that way. I am, so I ride with my forearms at about 10 degrees up angle. Perhaps I'm 30 seconds slower in an IM that way, but since I finished 3.5 hours behind the winner of my AG, I figure I'll work on those last 30 seconds some other time.

I'd argue for going with what's comfortable to you for now, since it's a new bike and all. Try it flat and angled up and see what feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first tried aerobars (clip-ons on my road bike), I had them angled up slightly. It wasn't so much for aero reasons, but because you have much greater control over the bike in that position (so I was told). I eventually moved to the flat position I use now. I'd recommend the angle-up position for someone not used to riding on aerobars.

cholla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, I read that in one of my road training books. that idea is no longer valid. comfort & power takes precident over aero. get fit right to get the most watts out of your body ... then get aero.
Quote Reply