Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Meniscus Surgey Today
Quote | Reply
I am going in to get my Meniscus clipped today. The Dr. said they would totally put me to sleep. My question is how much pain is involved? I wish they did not knock me out as I have had two surgeries in the past and get sick from the anesthesia.

Looking forward to getting back on the training wagon.

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Re: Meniscus Surgey Today [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was knocked out totally for mine. I think the thing is that they want to make absolutely sure you don't go moving around any with that Roto-Rooter inside your knee. Could cause major damage. All I recall is being very thirsty afterward. The only pain I had afterward from the incisions was pretty superficial. However, I could feel immediately that I had less pain inside the knee joint due to getting the crap cleaned out.

P.S., Ask your doc for a tape of the surgery. It will show the whole inside of the knee, what gets trimmed off, etc. Pretty cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask the docs to put some anti-nausea "stuff" into the anesthesia drip. I had it and it worked great. Enjoy the trip and don't worry. Rehab from miniscus surgery isn't very difficult at all.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by NCSecretHero [ In reply to ]
Re: Meniscus Surgey Today [NCSecretHero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the info :-) I appreciate it. I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks Again...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had mine clipped on 12/10/04. I walked out of the OR. Amazing how they've got it down to a cut/dry procedure now.

NO pain. never had to take any of the pain meds they prescribed. I was back at the gym doing upper body a couple of days after surgery, and back on the bike doing light spinning at the end of the week.

Surprisingly, the most painful thing so far has been swimming. I never thought about it, but the kick is kind of an agressive movement on the knee.

Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
        I had my meniscus scoped 8 days ago along with an open repair of my petella tendon. The petella tendon was the major part and the meniscus was just done because the doctor was in there. Kind of like replacing your water pump when you replace a timing belt. No sence waiting to go in twice. I was given two nerve blocks; one in the spine and one at the top of my thigh and I was still put to sleep. Recovery was great, once I could wiggle my toes I was on my way home. No pain, no groggyness. I never used any pain medication, just a anti-inflamatory. Today I rode the bicycle trainer for 15 min on, 15 min ice, 3 times. It's going well, I wish you as good a recovery as I'm having.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Meniscus Surgey Today [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my surgery 7 days ago, and I can only put about 40 percent of my weight on that leg. I cant bend my leg very much, and kind of hobble around. I hope things get better soon, as others have seemed to have gone better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine. You should not run into much if any pain. Had the left one done on 12/15. My Doc is a bit on the conservative side and appreciate that. I just got back on stationary bikes this past weekend and I'm waiting till next weekend to start running again. I spent a lot of time in the pool the last few weeks.

I opted for the general instead of the spinal. I was not compelled to watch. Had no issues until about 4 days after the procedure and my ankle and calf began swelling big time. Then the bruise developed on the inside lower ankle. That was just the stuff that wasn't suctioned off during the procedure and it pooled up down low. Had to spend a half day back at the hospital while getting checked over to make sure there was no clot. Everything eased up after they got me on a compression sock and its been clear sailing since then. I get a twinge once in a while but the previous sensation from the tear is gone. Mission now is dropping the weight that built up since it blew in early November.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really varies a lot from patient to patient; doesn't really always have much to do with what was done in the knee. Unless you have a fever, or drainage, or a lot of calf (rather than knee) pain, it's likely OK.

Be patient.

Deke
Quote Reply
Re: Meniscus Surgey Today [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney-

What was wrond with your patella tendon and how long did you have problems? I've seen an ortho 5 times over 3 years and he keeps saying ice and advil for patella tendonitis and eventually it will be fine. Never had an MRI (he thinks its unnecessary). I'm scheduling for a second opinion, but I'm wondering what the options are?
Quote Reply
Re: Meniscus Surgey Today [mclark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
       My P. tendon was partially torn away form the bone, tibia I think. The cause; wear and tear, I've been a heavy construction carpenter for 35 years and a runner for 25. The incident happpened right here at my computer. I stood up and OUCH! my knee hurt. The next day there was a huge lump and the whole lower leg was swelling. I waited almost two months to have surgery. I wanted to wait until I finished the job I was on. I knew that I could get a few weeks off before starting the next one. It's healing well, most of the tenderness is gone and I'm in the pool again with a pull bouy and riding the trainer, even getting my HR up a little. If your DR says it's tendonitus, I think the only cure is rest. Not what we ever want to hear, but if you have to do it, now is the time.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same surgery in 1985. Though the doc barely removed any material, I was back in the gym doing leg work days later.

Anyone had this done to their shoulder to trim off some labrum cartilage?

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Meniscus Surgey Today [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
       Yeah, 2 years ago I had my shoulder done. Same doctor, same hospital. Torn labrum, torn rotator cuff, torn bicept tendon. The shoulder came back 100%. I'm sure the knee will too. Again, just wear and tear, a lot of wear and tear.

What do you think? Should I keep my doc on retainer?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

How's the knee today? Don't worry about the speed of your recovery. Now is a good time to be home looking out at the cold. Are you going to physical Therapy? It's their job to get that leg loose and build back the strength. My doc had me there the next day. I should also keep them on retainer.

I'm a very impatient patient. If they give me an inch I try for a yard. I'm not suposed to drive at all but this week I started driving my pick up with a clutch. First just to the PT. Yesterday after PT I drove to the Pool, then shopping, then the library. I was out driving around for about five hours. My leg is tired today. Today, I have to drive today to see another doctor. Then it's total rest for a few days, PT tomorrow, no swim, no bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you need to take your time while recovering, take your time. It's not like you are trying to recover very quickly so you can play in the Super Bowl or anything like that. My knee kind of got almost frozen in place because I favored it too much while awaiting surgery. As a result, my rehab from knee surgery was difficult, sometimes very painful and took a while, but I diligently worked through it. This was fairly hard because I am not patient. But, it eventually worked. My scorecard before knee surgery was no marathons or triathlons. My post-surgery scorecard is 7 marathons, 4 triathlons and counting.
Quote Reply
Re: Meniscus Surgey Today [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My knee is very tight, I can only bend it about half of its normal range of motion. I had my surgery on the 11th and see the Dr. for the first time on the 21st. The only exercises they gave me were to do straight leg, leg lifts on my back, holding for five seconds at the top. I am to do sets of 10 throughout the day three times. The other one is to tighten my quad, pushing the back of my knee into the floor, and having the top of my foot pull back, 10 times, three times a day. I am still limping around, however starting to feel better.

THANKS-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
         You see your doc tomorrow. If he doesn't prescribe physical therapy ask him about it. I'm not a doc or a therapist but I have been breaking a few things lately and it is my opinion that all the good surgery in the world isn't going anywhere with out good physical therapy. For ten days your leg has only been getting weaker and stiffer. You need to start building it back up. An awful lot of the people who have non-successful surgeries never did the proper follow up therapy. Get moving!

Quote Reply