Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Women's Fit Specific Bike versus "Normal"
Quote | Reply
At the moment, I currently ride a women's fit specific bike, but the more I follow the sport of cycling, the more women I see riding "normal" bikes. The question I have is how many of you are riding "normal" bikes, and do you feel that there are any advantages/disadvantages to doing so (besides that they come in colors other than pink, purple, and pastels)? What about women's specific bikes- any advantages/disadvantages?
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Fit Specific Bike versus "Normal" [lindsayonthego] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a normal bike. You might search the main forum about the womens' specific bikes because I seem to recall some threads about it.

Ultimately it comes down to does the bike fit you, women specific frame or regular frame.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Fit Specific Bike versus "Normal" [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice- I was just struck by the thought as I was lurking. Completely blanked about the search function- can you tell that it's a late afternoon at work?....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a women's road bike and a normal triathlon bike. Advantages of women's bikes are that they're generally available in smaller sizes and that, supposedly, women have slightly longer legs (for their height) than men. I bought my women's bike because it was on sale. It's titanium and nobody would guess that it's a women's bike without looking at a catalogue. I'm 5'6" so the only advantages for me is that it came with the correct sized handlebars (38cm), the shifters were set with a shorter reach and I saved $1k. The handlebars and shifters are fairly easy modifications that can (should!) be done in the shop before taking the bike home.

The disadvantages to women's bikes is that they tend to come with triple chainrings, are given stupid names and are painted horrible pastel colours.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Fit Specific Bike versus "Normal" [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Higher end womens bikes tend to get less feminine. Actually changing around the handlebar, saddle, etc can add up quite quickly, especially saddles shops tend to give you only a few $$ in exchange.

Focus on what fits!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The disadvantages to women's bikes is that they tend to come with triple chainrings, are given stupid names and are painted horrible pastel colours.

I know. With running being my first and primary love, I always complain about the selection of running clothes for women. Has anybody sent those guys a memo that pastel pink is not intimidating?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a women's specific bike because at 5'1", my choices are pretty much limited to women's bikes. Luckily, I found one with a compact crank and NO pastel!
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Fit Specific Bike versus "Normal" [JayGee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a women's specific road bike because they tend to cater to longer legs and shorter torso, I am 5'6" with a 32" inseam (same inseam as some of my 6' tall male friends). I ride a "normal" tri bike, in the smallest size it came in, and the top tube is still a bit long. I have been looking at the 2011 women's specific bikes and there is definitely a move away from the flowers and girly colors, I am excited to see this trend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't think i've ever owned a women's bike. heck, even my very first bike when i was 4 years old was a "spiderman" bmx that my dad bought for me! another bmx, several lowriders (that i built), a 10 speed when i was 11 years old, 4 mountain bikes and 1 time trial bike later, i've still never seen the point of a women-specific design. then again, i'm 5'8", so size isn't an issue; i think 54cm (size of my P1) is probably one of the most common frame sizes out there.

if i was shopping for a road bike and there was a women's design with good fit, components and price (and no fruity, flurfy colour scheme), i wouldn't hesitate to buy it...but i won't be looking for one. i'd actually like to pick up a 'cross bike this year, and i'm not sure i've ever seen a women-specific CX bike.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I never owned a women specific bike (except for my run-around bike ;-)). Your bike has to fit you, it's personal. Period. Get yourself a good dynamic bike fitting, it's a joy forever :-) With my 5'87 I always thought I needed a 'normal' bike with my long legs. Turned out that my torso is long also and you can't see that with the naked eye (I ride a Specialized Trans Comp 56 cm). You can also tweak your 'normal' bike with the often smaller women specific components. F.e. Shimano has smaller brake levers.

Quote Reply
Re: Women's Fit Specific Bike versus "Normal" [Kaikala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a QR Dulce and love it. I'm around 5'5 and it fits me perfectly...I could not be happier. The only problem...is that the smaller frame did not fit on my bike rack - the rack was to wide. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please don't hate on those that ride triples...I do and proud of it. My WSD is not a pastel color either, but a nice blue.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a WSD Trek in 47cm size. there was a choice of one, or wait until mid 2011 for the Madone to be built and shipped. It has a triple and I named the bike "Granny" as a result. It has the necessary short top tube that most WSD bikes have. Leg length is not the problem; not having to swap for the world's shortest stem of all time was a relief.
It has junk components, but I didn't pay much and imagine selling it to a newbie at the end of the season and waiting this winter for my new high-end bike to be built.

If only I could get a road bike with 650 wheels, but they don't appear to be made anymore, outside of custom. Ah...the burden of being small...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply