Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SPINNING CLASSES? Are they worthwhile? [kjsmitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to set up a topless class. I think everyone would enjoy a workout like that.

Smitty
Quote Reply
Re: SPINNING CLASSES? Are they worthwhile? [MATTCYCLE1 UK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I trained for my first 1/2 Ironman completely on a spin bike (along with running/swimming) since my current bike (a Cervelo) didn't arrive on my doorstep until the week before the race. I took 4 spin classes a week, 1 hour at a time, and proceeded a couple of the classes with fast transition runs on the treadmill. My bike split with solely spin miles has proven to be just as fast (if not faster) than when I do a bunch of road miles. I think the benefit lies in that it is a continuous workout (no stoplights or dilly dally) and when taken seriously, my heartrate stays up around my anaerobic threshold for the full hour. To this day, I only ride the roads once a week...even when preparing for Ironman...and I have been pretty successful with this approach to my bike training. Healthy trails, Kim Brown, MS, RD Sports Nutritionist www.kbnutrition.com

Kim Mueller, MS, RD
Sports Nutritionist
http://www.kbnutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like them.....cleans up your pedal stroke.....you can make it as hard as you like.......

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did nothing but spin classes last winter: added 3 km/hour to my average speed racing last season

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, I bought a pass that would have gotten me into spin classes all winter...but I took one class and didn't go back. guess buying the mega pass was getting ahead of myself...lol

but, if i ever get into a rut where i cannot manage to even look at the trainer, let alone get on it, then i'll spin.

if you dig the group thing, it's a good change. however, I'm just too independent and find that most instructors really don't know how it will translate to the road. IMO, spin is kind of corny...but this is coming from a no frills purist...I don't wear a wet suit and refuse to wear weight training gloves even on heavy days (because it interferes with getting a pure lift).

kittycat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Would love to set up a topless class. I think everyone would enjoy a workout like that."

Smitty - I think you need to go spend some time in the Hottie thread. Down boy! :)

D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really does depend on your instructor. During the winter (it's noon and the temperature has warmed up to a balmy -25C today) so I'm not running or riding outside. My instructor is great - she has a cycling background has no use for a lot of the "spinning" mumbo-jumbo that people complain about. She focuses on heart rate, cadence and interval length - very structured. I've talked to other people in the class who've taken classes from other instructors and they have all the complaints about spinning.

I also get the chance to do a brick workout during the winter, as I can hop off the bike and go right on to a treadmill for 15 minutes of running.

And as others have mentioned, it is a chance to meet people (I happen to be single) which you don't get sitting on your bike in the basement.

Cheers,

EKB
Quote Reply
Re: SPINNING CLASSES? Are they worthwhile? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dawn...glad to see you have a sense of humor. I think the hottie section shows only guys. I will have to check it out. Thanks. It just gets a little to serious around here.

Smitty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only guys? Have you not been to the Hottie Thread in the Lavender Room yet? Enjoy!

D.
Quote Reply
Re: SPINNING CLASSES? Are they worthwhile? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dawn...thanks again. I was wrong about that thread.

Smitty
Quote Reply

Prev Next