Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

first bike
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend is in the market for a bike to be used in triathlon with about $800 to kick around. This would be her first bike, so nothing tri specific. Any ideas on what might be the most bike for the $. Thanks.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: first bike [P2kman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant OCR1. Cost me about $950 w/ decent, not great, wheels, and full 105 triple group. With a good end-of-the-year sale, you should be able to get it in your range.

It's worked like a champ for me (I bike race). Replaced the wheels for lighter ones after a season and have used the original ones for training since. Altho the newer OCR's have pretty neat looking wheels compared to my older model.

Only downside, it's a little portly, mostly due to wheels, stem/post/seat.

JB

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second a Giant OCR-1 or OCR-2. My wife did her first two years of sprint tris on an OCR fitted with shorty clip-ons and had numerous AG wins and podiums. Very good bike for the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just helped a buddy pick out a bike. He went with a Felt F-70 with pedals (crap though), shoes, a Bell Ghisallo helmet all for under $1000. I threw in a set of good pedals. I was blown away by the Felt. Really nice component spec and great value. Lots of bang for the buck.

They have some cheaper bikes than the F-70 but then you start going below 105 components. I'd go with a road bike to start with and throw some shortie bars on it. I wouldn't go with a tri bike from the get go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuji & Jamis are fine: I own a Fuji Roubaix w/105 (pretty light) and a steel Jamis cross/touring bike (heavy). Both ride very well. -TB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd second the felt. recently got my g.f. a softride that was a very good deal, but the bike she like best besides that was a Felt f-80 which was a 47cm w/650 wheels. the 9sp tiagra set-up was fine, as she would not be putting on a billion miles ... and it was right about $800. nice frame, great paint job, decent spec ... really good deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Supergo Scattante ~$950 with full Ultregra?????

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can swing it:
QR Trueno $995.
Giant TCR Aero 2.
You can't go wrong with a Trek WSD or the already suggested Giant OCR.

At the very least, congrats. You've found a girl that'll try a tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$800 on the nose: http://www.preownedbikes.com/.../details.aspx?id=960. Hard to beat that.