Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

shallow vs. deep HED s-bends?
Quote | Reply
I hear that my LBS has both shallow and deep (taller?) HED s-bends in aluminum. Only the shallows in carbon currently. Anyone have a preference among these?
Quote Reply
Re: shallow vs. deep HED s-bends? [Sparky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on if you are using the risers or not....

Slowman advises the top shelf be level with your arm rests.

Hope that helps....
Quote Reply
Re: shallow vs. deep HED s-bends? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, so the end of the bar should feel the same between the two. Any advantage to a deep vs. shallow "s"? I assume with the deep that it drops well below your arm rest. Also, any advantage of risers v. no risers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of the shallow s-bends and I use risers on my Hed aerobars. I have noticed a little wrist discomfort. I think, but don't know, that if you are using risers that you should use the deep bends and if you are not using risers go shallow. I am trying to decide if I should remove my risers and see if the discomfort goes away (which would probably be easier) or trying to buy some deep alloy bends and seeing if they work better.

All in all though I must say that I love the s-bends and the setup.

Chris Hurrell
http://www.thecompletetriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: shallow vs. deep HED s-bends? [tridude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I inquired with HED directly. Anne and Steve both specified Deep Bends are for use WITH risers, Shallow Bends are for WITHOUT risers. Got my Deep Bends the other day, set them up last night, and plan on riding this afternoon. Feedback to follow...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the carbon s-bends have the aluminum end on them like the original bars? I'm looking at them and thinking I'll probably want to trim back the area on the front of the bend to reduce any reach to the levers for my small hands. I have the original Hed bars and would have trimmed the ends back long ago except they have the aluminum end that can't be cut.
Quote Reply
Re: shallow vs. deep HED s-bends? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On receipt, I asked the same question. Which end is made for cutting? Steve said the S-Bends have two distinct ends. One end is the short, unfinished, silver end that has been milled internally to accommodate the bar end shifters. The second, longer, finished (painted) end mates with the base bar and is the end that should be cut.
Quote Reply
Re: shallow vs. deep HED s-bends? [RGRTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are describing the aluminum extensions. I'm wondering specifically about the carbon versions. For purely aesthetic reasons I'm going to spend the extra $$. If the carbon extensions have the same aluminum end cap as the original version, I'll go with the aluminum extensions to allow me to customize the length of the post bend part. On the original carbon extensions you cannot trim back the aluminum cap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Right you are. The aluminum S-Bends. I was already using the riser kit so I stayed with the recommended adaptation. The carbon ones definitely look sweet!
Quote Reply
Re: shallow vs. deep HED s-bends? [RGRTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump.

Any feedback on riding the deep S-bends?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the feel of the shallow a little bit better as the bend isn't as extreme in my hand. Feels smoother. the deep feels like the ergo bend in a road bar and feels good for a bit, but then starts to bother me. Its all personal preference, but right now I prefer the shallow. Mind you the new bike comes next week, which will require a reassessment (custom road frame), but I'm hoping to stay with the shallow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all you Hed bar kids.

Ya know if you cut your stock extensions off at the second bend you will get the same hand poisons as the new S-bend, and the shifters will be easier to get to. I have the Oval A700 and they have the same extensions bends as the Hed. And I was thinking of getting a set of the S-bend extensions. but I looked at photos of Lance and by cutting the stock bar off at that second bend you get the same thing. And if you watch the video of LA on his TT bike he has to reach out to shift with the S-bends. i just did this last night and it works good.

Bikedude…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out my post "HED s-bend users" and you will have your answer. Also, you might be able to comment on the finish of yours when you get them.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply