Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power to weight ratio for triathletes
Quote | Reply
So, I've been thinking about the whole power-to-weight ratio thing. I was wondering if anyone has any info about this for the top pros.

Sadly, I have no way to measure my actual power, so I'm hoping for another way of comparison. The top climbers in cycling typically weigh about 2 pounds for each inch of height. Does anyone have any data (emperical, heuristic, theoretical, illogical) of this type for triathletes? Clearly a high power to weight ratio is preferable, but the ideal might be different for a climber in le tour vs a triathlete on a rolling course. Certainly for triathletes, gavity is going to be less of an issue than for the climbers in the alps, but we also have to lug our bodies around on the run after dismounting.

I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas before I embark on any weight loss programme.

Thanks,
-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Power to weight ratio for triathletes [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Sadly, I have no way to measure my actual power"

Search Topica Wattage and Analyticcycling for methods to measure your wattage up a hill, without a powermeter.

Search CyclingPeaks for the chart on power profiling.
Quote Reply
Re: Power to weight ratio for triathletes [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just from looking at who wins what, it's pretty clear that it varies depending on the distance raced. Obviously the lighter athletes do better at longer distances, and the more heavily muscled at shorter distances. As for actual numbers, I haven't seen any put forth.