Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike fit in LA (California not Louisiana..)
Quote | Reply
Maybe this is a stupid question and maybe this info is somewhere but I can't find it....I go to LA fairly regulary - slowtwitch does their FIST camps in southern california - I am thinking of getting fitted for a tri-bike - does anyone at Slowtwitch fit people?

Other recommendations on best place to get fitted?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: bike fit in LA (California not Louisiana..) [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bicycle Sports is about to open in San Diego, a fitting by Dave is worth the drive:

Just saw it on their site:

Dave Bunce
Bicycle Sports-San Diego
www.bicyclesports.com
760.944.5700 (Main)
760.473.5307 (Cell)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shops with FIST certified bike fitters:

Nytro Multisport - Encinitas
B&L Bike - Solana Beach
Circle Cycle - Torrance
Triathlete Zombies - Manhattan Beach
Edge Cyclesport - Lake Forest

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend Edge Cyclesports in Orange County.

brent
Quote Reply
Dave Bunce - Bicycle Sports [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I reccomend that you contact Dave at the Bicycle Sports Encinitas store, 760-473-5700, e-mail: dbunce@bicyclesports.com, and set yourself up a System One fit session. It is well worth your time and will definately increase your power, lower your air resistance and allow you to pursue your cycling goals in a much more efficient manner.

Read this: http://timetrial.org/systemone.htm
Last edited by: TimeTrial.org: May 28, 03 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: bike fit in LA (California not Louisiana..) [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second edge in Orange Counry, good guys
Quote Reply
Re: bike fit in LA (California not Louisiana..) [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I would highly recommend Edge Cyclesports in Orange County"

more elements in favor of edge:

there are two others, besides owner hank iglesias, that are FIST-certified fitters working out of edge. these are coaches, crucible fitness' rich strauss and michael collins, the latter a coach of a lot of athletes in OC and LA.

i believe they do their own fits out of edge because edge has a more sophisticated set of fit bikes and paraphernalia than most other shops. plus, they all more or less share the same fit philosophy, so there's no disagreement in methodology.

on that note, i might paranthetically bring up that paul levine attended my most recent FIST workshop. he is the head of the serotta fit school, and he does a lot of tri bike fits in NYC (funny, although he is almost universally known as a teacher of road bike fit among north america's best road race shops, his own fitting business is almost exclusively devoted to tri bike fit).

anyway, i bring him up because, as an experiment at the workshop, we both fit one individual independent of each other, and we were within a few millimeters of each other in every salient measure (seat angle, seat height, cleat mount, cockpit, armrest drop, etc). this is what you want, i think. this is what you're looking for in a fitter. someone who ascribes to a certain set of principles and can execute a fit the same as a competent fitter 3000 miles a way.

at the risk of sounding hoity-toity, if paul levine and i both give you the same exact fit, and tom demerly and hank iglesias more or less agree, and a fifth party gives you something entirely different, then i think you've got to ask yourself some questions about that fifth fit.

the most interesting thing (to me) about levine's process and mine is that we go about executing our fits with an entirely different methodology. but we achieve at precisely the same result. his is built on a system of flexibility measures while the subject is off the bike, while i rely on a set of preconceived notions based on Q&A with the subject, with my fit fine-tuned by both what i observe and what the subject verbally relates while on my fit bike. but my disagreement with levine is strictly on methodology, not on the eventual set up.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
2 cents about Paul [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was Fit by Paul adn wanted to add my impressions as a customer.

First off I am very happy with my position, it has done wonders for my speed and comfort.

But the point I really wanted to bring up is that he has been very open to questions about the measurements and fit during and after the fit session. And even though he is a Serotta custom bike dealer, he is very honest and knowledgable about many different bikes

So not only is he compotent but he is a pleasure to work with, which sometimes counts for just as much.
Quote Reply