Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Issues with bloating during and after ironman
Quote | Reply
Hello,
Last year I had some serious bloating issues, even went to a gastro doctor who told me everything was fine and suggested I take probiotics, which I did for a time and that seemed to fix the problem. I've noticed after races that I tend to bloat and am wondering if the Infinit nutrition I take has anything to do with it.

Recently, I did Ironman St. George and used Infinit as my prime nutrition source for the bike. I packed 8 hours worth of nutrition and only got through 6 hours worth of it. The bike was tough and it ended up taking me 8 hours to do the bike. When I got to the 6 hour mark, I just couldn't drink anymore. I started supplementing with cliff shot rocks. What I did, is I put four scoops of infinit in my water bottles with the goal of drinking half a water bottle every hour. Two scoops for me is 230 calories which is what I need per hour. After the race, I was bloated for a full week and felt that all my food that I was eating was just sitting in my gut. I even ended up throwing up one night, just to try to get some of it out, and I wasn't constipated. Probably more than you all want to hear, but I'm curious if this is a symptom of the nutrition , if I shouldn't be doubling up my bottles?? Any ideas thoughts or suggestions from the experts? THanks
Laurie

-------------------------------------------------------------- Quote directed to me..."You don't have to do an ironman to prove your life is worth living..."
Quote Reply
Re: Issues with bloating during and after ironman [Laurieviault] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you feel when you eat/drink significantly less? Do you bonk nutritionally wise? Maybe you are eating too much?
Quote Reply
Re: Issues with bloating during and after ironman [Laurieviault] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you/have you trieds real food? and water? I am highly suspicious of what is in these fake nutritional supplements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any bloating during training?

I have known a couple people with similar issues. They were actually sucking air through the bottles.

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 things will reliably cause my stomach to bloat and/or slosh.

1. Going too fast for my fitness.
2. Consuming too much protein.

I use Infinit too--I know they really urge athletes to consider taking protein for at least part of an IM race. In my first batch, I had their recommended amount of whey protein for IM distance. Bloat. For the second bag, I removed all whey protein from their recommended blend and have been a very happy camper ever since.

I use 6 scoops in a 24oz water bottle--roughly 900 calories. I carry that on the frame and have a 2nd one in special needs. Aero bottle is repeatedly filled with water from the aid stations, because I need to take in 2 mouthfuls of water for every mouthful of 3x concentrated Infinit--otherwise it will not digest very easily and you run the risk of dehydration. (Were you matching each mouthful of your 2x concentrate with 1 mouthful of water? Could that be the issue?)
Last edited by: PJT: May 17, 10 15:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with PJT. The amount of calories your stomach can process is inversely proportional to the intensity with which you exert yourself. Many of us tend to go harder during a race than in training - probably adrenaline taking over. So if we ingest as much as usual during training it may be too much for the increased load. When in doubt eat less.
Quote Reply
Re: Issues with bloating during and after ironman [txtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you ever get this figured out - what was the actual issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Issues with bloating during and after ironman [gingerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh my goodness! This post is from 10 years ago! I am no longer doing Ironmans and no, never really did get resolution to this. Although I used a lot less infinit nutrition on the next ironman I did that year at the world championship in Kona. Instead I did more actual food. I do recall on the run I was drinking too much water and was constantly having to pee so made a conscious decision to stop drinking water at the last few aid stations on the run. I don't recall having week long bloating issues after Kona, but it was 10 years ago. I am guessing that when I originally posted this it was caused by the infinit nutrition and just pushing my body to do an ironman. I tend to bloat when I get overheated as well so I'm sure the two things combined caused it.

-------------------------------------------------------------- Quote directed to me..."You don't have to do an ironman to prove your life is worth living..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same problem and finally figured out the water sloshing is from inadequate sodium in your fuel and water. It'll stop crossing your guts and pool up in there.

Even though this is 10 years old, it's a solution still worth posting. :)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply