Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona stats for women
Quote | Reply
There's a post right now on the main board citing average stats for a Kona Qualifier.

(blatant cut & paste from EricM35-39)
Kona Qualifiers typically have the ability to:
swim 500yds in 6:30 or better
bike a 40km TT in under an hour
run a 5k in 18:00 or better, and perhaps have run a marathon in around 3:00

I've seen these and similar before but they are obviously for men. I'm curious what the numbers might be for women. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona stats for women [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good question. I'd take a look at Chrissie's numbers from Kona last 2 years to get a feel for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Kona stats for women [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is interesting, but a fast 40K TT or 5K run are a far cry from a fast Ironman. I wouldn't think that would hold since endurance would trump speed, or so I would think.

In any case, aren't women generally about 10% slower? Perhaps more on the bike and less on the swim, but that could give you a ballpark figure.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona stats for women [Lilac J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since 40K TT and 5K is frequently used to predict threshold those times used to predict pace/speed/power etc. Doing those doesn't mean you can forgo the long stuff, but if you can't reach those times, then your long stuff won't be "fast" enough. A guy who runs a 5K in 18 minutes is going to be faster at a marathon than a guy who runs a 5K in 30 minutes. IM training to kona qualify is not just about long slow distance. *those* times being times for the guys. Women's times seem to be a little more spread out though (especially in the younger and older age groups). But the margins are narrowing. I have no idea for women.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona stats for women [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chrissie? As in Wellington? I think they were talking AG, but she's not even the average pro kona qualifier ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Kona stats for women [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True.

IM racing is so different its hard to even come up with a reasonable pace. For running I guess you could use McMillan's calculator and put in around a 3:30 IM mary to get an idea of run pace. No idea how to get to bike and swim.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply