Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Excessive fatigue [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I went to see a different doc this afternoon; new doc ordered another round of bloodwork, also checked my throat & ears and noticed some stuff that shouldn't be there... so she said this could be pollen allergies since I moved (6 months ago) in an area with a lot of orchards... the other thing she thinks it may be is a viral infection ... I asked for details on that but she wouldn't give me an answer until the bloodwork comes back ... She did gave me a spray for my nose so we'll see if that helps...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go with the viral stuff. I remember talking with Monty, he had something similar and it took him ages to get over it. Training before kicking it completely just made it worse. Fingers crossed, hang in there, and ditch all training for a week. Seriously, you need to rest.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree on viral. I had CMV a few years back and it knocked me out for about a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any muscle or joint pain or tenderness? Fibromyalgia comes to mind.You may be sleeping but not getting into a "deep" sleep where your body recovers. The muscle, joint pain and tenderness could indicate fibromyalgia.

Just a thought if all the tests look normal.
Last edited by: rbishop: Apr 29, 11 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had all these symptoms, plus sore throat, and then night sweats came....it was high titers of EBV and Hashimoto's. Hope you can get to the bottom of it soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [LoriT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had some similar problems last October. In addition to extreme fatigue, my feet and calves would get very warm in the evening and I'd feel very restless and anxious even though I was tired. My exercise recovery was also terrible. Blood tests showed nothing and my doctor told me that it was "nothing physcial". In Jan I went in for my standard GYN appt. My gyn suggested bloodwork and tested my hormone levels. Turns out my estrogen was very very low. I have always been hesitant to mess with my hormones, but I started taking low dose birth control. In 2 weeks, I felt better than I had in years. So, I would 2nd the hormone testing.
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [LoriT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had excessive night sweats over the last 2 years or so. Put it down to my thryoid. Have come up as having auto-immune causing hypothyroidism, just don't know what disease. Having to change the sheets night sweats are the bain of my life... luckily haven't had any for a few months :)

To the original poster, I hope you find out what it is soon. It's horrid being in limbo!
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [chezchapstick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might also be menopause. I have nasty night sweats -- hot flashes - I sometimes get them during the day too. I am only 38 FWIW so don't think you're too young (it's been going on for 3-4 yrs now).

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might be worth checking for Lyme disease also - it's a big issue in these parts and generally underdiagnosed...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The suspense is killing me. What did you find out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had similar fatigue issue on and off this past year. Seems to flair up in Spring and if training volume takes big bump up.

I did a big volume (mostly cycling) tri camp in March and felt so fatigued and achy after wards for a few weeks I often took 2 naps a day and did almost no training for 3 weeks. Three more weeks I have almost no motivation to train, stopped having my coach write plans, pulled out of Lake Placid. I haven't slept well for a couple years and it's gotten worse last 6 months.

I had my knee scoped last year and still my knee isn't normal. It gets better then worse despite going to 4 PTs. Last year at the time I tore my meniscus doctor said I had Lymes (I did get two deer tick bites from road riding) and was on antibiotics for 6 months. 6 months after my knee scope and continual issues with my knee, ortho ordered some inflammatory testing which all was normal. A IM doctor friend suggested I go to MA General and see a Rheumatologist who said he I had Fibromyalgia. That surprised me considering I've done IMs last 3 years. Not sure I agree with his diagnosis but he was right my sleep has been poor and I've been under lots of stress with very ill parents. I'm cold almost all the time and wear more layers than my husband and kids. I've gone to wearing wool socks almost year round. My weight has crept up last three years not a lot maybe 10 pounds total despite lots of excercise and eating well most of the time. I used to be quite heavy and lost almost 100 pounds 6-7 years ago and have kept within a 14 pound window since then.

I saw a new sports ortho this week about on going knee issues almost year past scope who wants me to see a Sports Endocronologist. She wants her to check my bone density as she was concerned how my bone looked on my X ray. I did some searching and seems all my symptoms line up with hypothyrodism. Ortho wants me to wear a brace to help get my knee full extension, thinks some knee pain can be from bone spurs, and wants me to stop running for awhile as I put big demands on my knee. I did IMFL last November. Checked the blood work that Rheumatologist ordered last month and my TSH was 1.64. Does that mean my thryoid is fine or do they need to do the T3 and T4 tests as well to be sure? Other tests?

Calcium was low normal. Only blood work was out of normal was bilirubin which was to high.

Any other ideas I should consider?

I want to feel better and get back to doing what I like....pretty frustrated.
Last edited by: KathyG: May 11, 11 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never really figured it out. This happened last spring and lasted all summer. I raced Xterra Canada in September and felt really flat, then I took 6 weeks totally off and race Xterra Worlds on 10 days on training in October and felt pretty good (was faster than the year before)...I haven't done much since Worlds (too much work) so I can't really say if this thing is gone or not, but haven't had any symptoms since the summer... I'm getting back onto training next week so we'll see if this comes back or not...It was suggested to me that it could be Lyme or simply allergies... but I still don't know exactly what it is (was)

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Last edited by: Alexia: May 12, 11 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty low TSH. I vote: stress. People take stress so lightly. Stress will over-activate your adrenal gland; if it never gets a break, it will also throw your cortisol and DHEA levels out the window, which first shows up as BAD SLEEP.

Go back and ask for more hormone testing. In the meantime, 3mg of Melatonin to help you get a good sleep.

Good luck,
AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stress can certainly do it. I'd definitely get the hormone testing done. For me..I think my lower estrogen was causing me problems with stress as it was increasing my anxiety levels. I knew that I had lost my ability to really completely relax. As another post mentioned, I could get physcially exhausted and lie down, but my mind would still be going 100mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same issue. All blood tests are normal. Tried taking B complex supplements in a sublingual form to see if that was it; it may have helped a little, but not much. I had a chiropractor put me on supplements for adrenal fatigue. It took a few months but it did help some. It at least helped me out the the debilitating fatigue - it had gotten so bad that it was all that I could do to make it thru the work day, forget trying to run or even do fun stuff in the evenings. I don't feel great now, but it's better than it way. I'm sure that 2 years of extra stress from work has not helped any, and the hormone changes aren't helping, either (I'm 43).
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [YarnYoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just out of curiosity, any of you reporting fatigue and other issues taking statins for cholestrol?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Alexia,
I can definitely relate to your symptoms. I too went to my PCP and have gone through EKG's, stress tests, blood work etc. with no abnormal results. Feeling lethargic, dizzy at times, difficulty concentrating, unable to really gear up for training...it all sounds really familiar. I even had heart palpitations.

I decided to go back to my acupuncturist for this stuff and he has been a HUGE help. The way he explained it to me is that my body energy "chi" gets all used up with training and my body gets way out of balance. It's like being "energy anemic" without actually having anemia. He used to work in Boulder and says that he sees these symptoms very consistently with girls who run and do triathlon, so I figure he's a pretty good source of information. He does the typical needle treatment and then gives me blood building herbs and I have to tell you, I was a little skeptical at first, but in a matter of 2 weeks I feel significantly better.

Do you know any acupuncturists in your area who work with athletes?

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
just out of curiosity, any of you reporting fatigue and other issues taking statins for cholestrol?

I don't
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lam [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:

Thinking the exact same thing. Lipitor knocked me out of training for 3 years. Thought I had fibermyalgia. MIL had same symptoms until she got off of Lipitor.
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [creek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The symptoms the OP mentioned were exactly what I was feeling. I took myself off the statin and was back to my normal happy and energetic self
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [lole1312] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lole1312 wrote:
Hey Alexia,
I can definitely relate to your symptoms. I too went to my PCP and have gone through EKG's, stress tests, blood work etc. with no abnormal results. Feeling lethargic, dizzy at times, difficulty concentrating, unable to really gear up for training...it all sounds really familiar. I even had heart palpitations.

I decided to go back to my acupuncturist for this stuff and he has been a HUGE help. The way he explained it to me is that my body energy "chi" gets all used up with training and my body gets way out of balance. It's like being "energy anemic" without actually having anemia. He used to work in Boulder and says that he sees these symptoms very consistently with girls who run and do triathlon, so I figure he's a pretty good source of information. He does the typical needle treatment and then gives me blood building herbs and I have to tell you, I was a little skeptical at first, but in a matter of 2 weeks I feel significantly better.

Do you know any acupuncturists in your area who work with athletes?

Good luck!
I live near Boulder -- can your acupuncturist recommend anyone still in the Boulder/Denver metro area? I have the same symptoms, which usually go away if I do nothing but work and sleep for a couple days, but it would be great to not have the problem -- especially the heart palpitations -- scary.
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [lam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oops. Tried to reply. I am not on statins.
squid wrote:
just out of curiosity, any of you reporting fatigue and other issues taking statins for cholestrol?[/quote]

Quote Reply

Prev Next