Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody still... ?
Quote | Reply
Anybody here still occasionally actually do the quaint and dated thing of buying a couple of rims, a pair of hubs, a bunch of spokes and nipples and then sit down and build up your own wheels? How many of you folks do that, or even know how in this day and age?

I have built a few sets in my time, but lately with race wheel technology going orbital, my last two pairs have been ATB wheels (it is getting impossible to find pre-built wheels with hard-anodized rims that are suitable for V-brakes). So I just finished a set. It took some time, and some patience, but it was satisfying, especially getting the rim true to standards far better than available anywhere with pre-builts.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still... ? [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brother has done this before. But then again, we all think he is a little weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry no never

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been wanting to pickup a truing stand for just this purpose. I know it's possible to build a wheel without one, but it's all about tool acquisition for me. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still... ? [Foolish Tri Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it is a case of: "Cycling is like a church, many attend, but few understand."-Jim Burlant ??

Yes, you really need a truing stand. And, if at all possible, a dishing tool.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"And, if at all possible, a dishing tool."

Methinks one would be screwed without one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. I've built quite a few. But only the first pair were "aero" race wheels. All others since have been are general purpose training or touring wheels or a 2nd pair of ATB wheels for slicks or studded tires depending on the season. I agree, it is very satisfying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a fair job of trueing my own wheels, but I've never actually built a set. It's one of the many things I'd like to do, though. I have the impression that it's one of those skills that looks simple enough but that you have to do over and over again to really get the hang of. Like learning how to drive stick...
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still... ? [Quadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, you don't have to do it a many times to be very skilled. It helps vastly to read a good book about it or have a mentor show you how.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still riding the first pair of wheel I ever built. I think I built them in 99. Open pro rims (the old steely blue color) Revo spokes, Radial front, 3X rear.

I think I have trued them all of a half a dozen times. Great wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, but I was thinking of enrolling in buggy whip school.

LOL ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still... ? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about horse-shoeing school?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"How about horse-shoeing school? "

Stupid quote!

The guy who worked for the US Equestrian team at the olympics and pre olympic events was paid $3400 per week. There was an article about him in HRM, he in his 20's I beleive, and had been earning six figure wages since he was 18 or so.

Way to go...
There's no better way to build a great wheel set, my favourite wheel are still a set of 32h Record hubs, Swiss tripple butted spokes with Mavic Ceramic rims.

Try cornering real hard, braking hard or riding any decent mountain range on your generic wheelset.

goog post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few bike tech things I leave to the real experts and wheel building and significant truing fall into that category. However, it has been my experience that if you get the best to build the wheels in the first place, you need little of the latter.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still... ? [tri-espana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oi! Wow, we are gettin' a bit nasty here, aren't we?

In case, thanks for your evaluation ( the, "stupid quote")--certainly I will ask you of your visibly wise opinion before I choose to write anything else.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok my apologies,

Just think its crazy to put down careers like that when you probably have no idea how much training and skill is involved, or maybe you do!
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still... ? [tri-espana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no intent to put down any career.

It was just to show a career that is far less in demand, as horses today are mostly used for sport/recreation in the developed world, compared to years ago when they provided all kinds of transportion (like the need for wheelbuilding skill is fading with the advent of mass machine-made wheels).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is so hard to be PC today - when they filmed the Mighty Ducks movie, the writers couldn't find a suitable "enemy" hockey team (didn't want to use the Russians, Germans, Canadians, etc.) so they used the evil Icelandic Hockey Team!!! Now that can't offend too many :)

Anyway, my uncle is a ferrier (horshoe guy amongst other things) in the foothills of the smokies in Tennessee. Also makes great money as they are in VERY short demand. Backbreaking work though (although he used to be a rodeo cowboy too - wears a patch with one glass eye from a bull riding accident).

Just thought I'd rain on your parade too ... ;)

Quote | Reply
I did in the past but seems now that prebuilt wheels, even with DA hubs, are really pretty inexpensive. So I guess the answer is not in the recent past, and probably not going to happen in the near future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few... built a rear track wheel, then a race wheelset w/white industries, sapim, and fir SRG 30 rims. Very nice. Spent around 200, since I already had the hubs. Am looking to build a set of tubular 'cross wheels for next season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still build my own for both training and racing. I had a set of 404 laced to Record hubs that where real nice. I sold them and went with a Disc and H3.

My favorite daily wheel is still Record hubs and Open Pros laced with Revolution spokes and alloy nipples except for the rear drive side which gets 14/15 gauge and brass nipples. If you build them with 28F and 32R they come in at about 1550 grams which is lighter than the fancy Ksyriums and much more repairable.

Ron

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm building a set of tubular track wheels, as it is a bit difficult to just go and buy a set at a local shop. I'm using the track for winter training, as the one here is indoors and the weather is never a factor in being able to ride/train.
Quote Reply