Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Supporting bad people
Quote | Reply
I know this forum has already talked about this race, but why would anyone support the WTC? Keep supporting the WTC and other races will close!

InsideTri.com

Schedule conflict kills Keauhou-Kona
'This event has been dealt a fatal blow," says promoter.

by Timothy Carlson
IT senior correspondent

This report filed December 20, 2004

Citing a conflict with the World Triathlon Corporation's new Ironman qualifier in Hawaii, Keauhou Kona Triathlon race director Joe Ackles pulled the plug last month on his half-Ironman distance event after 23 years.

"In spite of our best efforts, this event has been dealt a fatal blow," wrote Ackles on the Keauhou Kona Triathlon website. "As a result of a competing event being deliberately placed on the event calendar in our community one week after our event date, we were unable to attract sufficient registration to safely conduct the 24th annual race."

After 22 years as a qualifying event that served as the chief conduit for Hawaii residents to enter the famed Ironman Triathlon World Championship in Hawaii, the WTC did not renew the Keauhou Kona Triathlon's contract for the 2004 race. This decision came a year after Joe Ackles' wife, Sharron Ackles, was abruptly dismissed after 11 years as race director of the Ironman Triathlon World Championship.

In its place, in June 2003 the WTC created its own Olympic distance event to serve as a 2003 Ironman qualifier for Hawaii residents. This fall, the WTC announced it was increasing the distance of its Ironman qualifier - the Honu Triathlon -- to half Ironman status and scheduled it for June 5 - one week after the traditional date for the Keauhou Kona Triathlon.

According to Ackles, last year's Keauhou Kona Triathlon had a sold out registration of roughly 1,000. Even with expected fallout of triathletes who had been seeking Kona slots, the race started with roughly 750 entrants. According to Sharron Ackles, this year's event, after six months of registration, had only about 360 signed up.

"It was really a loveable event put on by a lot of people with a lot of heart," said Joe Ackles today. "But the registration numbers would have only paid for about 50 percent of the expenses. One big reason is that many athletes want to race at an Ironman qualifier -- and you cannot do them a week apart."

Joe Ackles said his race was never about money. "We spent 15 years building up this race, and only in the past three years did it make a profit," said Ackles. "For us and the volunteers who dedicated all their hard work, it was about giving to the community."

Ackles said that the race, set on half of the traditional Ironman course, "could have been perpetuated if not for the decision the WTC made to make sure that we didn't exist any more."

Spokespersons for the World Triathlon Corporation were not available for comment today.
Quote Reply
Re: Supporting bad people [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to here the WTC side, sounds like there is more to the story or am I reading too much into it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it just shows WTC sees triathlon as a business...just like any other. Competitors try to (figuratively) kill each other all the time. Just look at what Larry Ellison did to PeopleSoft.

If you view it in the context of capitalism and market forces, it makes sense. I am not saying I like it since it reduces the number of races and seems predetory but is really no different from WalMart coming to Anywhere, USA and setting up shop just outside downtown and sucking away all the biz.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree!

I can't for the life of me figure out why people will only consider the WTC Iron distance events. You have to give up use of your money for 364 days to get a spot. The expos are way overpriced due to the WTC's monopolistic policies of "Sole-vendors". The events are way overcrowded. The swim is dangerous and drafting on the bike is rampant. I don't get it.

Do people only consider themselves an Ironman if the WTC cashes their check? I just do not get it. Ironman is a distance, not a blessing a company gives to you.

Crossing the finish line ater 140.6 miles of fun at the Great Floridian, Duke Blue Devil, Vineman or Cali man is just as rewarding as crossing the line at IMblahblah.

Vote with your dollars. No WTC!
Quote Reply
I'm sorry but I disagree... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my IM racing is about the experience associated with the distance as well as the distance itself. If it were not, I'd just go to the local park and do my own Ironman. But I want the high profile feeling, the thousands of volunteers, the professional handling etc etc. Would you rather play in the world series or in your public softball league? Since I only race on IM per year, it's the little things that tip the scale towards WTC.

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Re: Supporting bad people [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That about sums it up. When one race treats it's event as a non-profit/charity type of event that they run on the side and another as a serious profitable business at all costs, it's no surprise which event will "win". This kind of thing goes on all the time in the real business world. It's unfortunate, and like you I am not saying I like it, but really, what can be done. The ultimate acid test is people voting with their $$$.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it just shows WTC sees triathlon as a business...just like any other.

I was thinking the same thing. You would think that the races getting pushed out would be young, unknown races ... but I've seen more than a couple races of 20+ years go bye-bye because of newer "sanctioned" (if that's the right word) races getting close dates or different races getting the "qualifier" or "championship" tag.

Is triahtlon strong enough to handle these long-annual races being deleted?

The same thing that's happened with other sports is happening here ... the business aspect kills the sport & tradition aspect.

They say the same thing about Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart kills local small buusineses. Would you rather have a Wal-mart in your town, or a small business? Actually, tri orgs might be more similar to Wal-mart in the regard that "nothing is gonna stop it" by now.

I'm a sentimental type that doesn't really see the value of the label on the race, so I am onbivouly biased.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
God loves a Capitalistic society - I have that tattood on my arm, (right above Mother) but I have to draw the line when capitalism is hurting my sport. The WTC is trying to get a monopoly on the Iron Distance race.

If people only do WTC events, the smaller events will die! All you have at that point is WTC Iron distance events, and that marks the downfall of Iron distance triathlon races. If the WTC owns the iron distance events, they will start to make decisions based solely on the profitability of the WTC rather than the needs of Triathletes.

The WTC regularly place their races at time periods to drive away smaller races. They have just dictated to pro's which races they can and cannot race in order to boost attendance at the races they want to boost.

Vote with your dollars thinking long term and the good of your sport in mind. Do not let one company dictate your sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't several IM distance non WTC races dissapear from tha calendar this year. Ultramax being one as well as the mentioned 1/2 in HI. Somedays I think the ITU is better for the sport than the WTC.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think it just shows WTC sees triathlon as a business...just like any other. Competitors try to (figuratively) kill each other all the time. Just look at what Larry Ellison did to PeopleSoft.
Yes but Peoplesoft made horrible products. So in that case, it is a blessing. :)
If you view it in the context of capitalism and market forces, it makes sense. I am not saying I like it since it reduces the number of races and seems predetory but is really no different from WalMart coming to Anywhere, USA and setting up shop just outside downtown and sucking away all the biz.

Mike
Last edited by: TnT: Dec 20, 04 17:32
Quote Reply
Re: Supporting bad people [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Didn't several IM distance non WTC races dissapear from tha calendar this year. Ultramax being one as well as the mentioned 1/2 in HI.<<

Yes, dammit!

clm, UMax 2002, 2003, 2004

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
The Next Victim [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wait - it is a matter of days (not years) until WTC places the new Ironman Florida the week after the GFT and drives them out of the business.
Quote Reply
Re: The Next Victim [Du U Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2004 I think it was two weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Inc is the only game in town. The XFL learned this same lesson the hard way. All of the best triathletes race in the WTC... These other "charity" organizations just can not compete. You are welcome to race against the rest of the recreational athletes in the other series. I like to know where I stack up against the best...
Quote Reply
Re: The Next Victim [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry - I meant to also point out that they will move the IMFL race from PCB to Orlando AND place it a week after GFT. This will essentially kill GFT.
Quote Reply