Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Awesome white shark site.
Quote | Reply
With the recent discussion of the shark attacks in Southern Australia I found this killer site about white sharks. Go to the GW photos page. Awesome.

http://greatwhite.org/frame_images.htm

I was dating this super cool girl who went white shark diving in South Africa. She said it was super cool. That is on my "must do" list:

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Awesome white shark site. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is on my "must do" list

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll stick to personal challenges involving less teeth.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom,

Im an avid scuba diver, I have dove all over the world and my best experience to date is diving in the galapagos islands, I went with a bunch of buddies and we rented out the whole boat and beacuse of that they took us out to some islands that humans dont normaly go to. One was called Wolf Island way out on the equator in the middle of nowhere and it was famous for its population of Hammerhead sharks, we were all skittish about diving with them but after getting in the water with them they were more scared of us, and these were sharks in the 8foot and up range. what was impressive to me was watching these sharks going round and round in a circle at least 20-30 of them and fleeing everytime they saw us. We had to hide amongst the reef and hold our breath so no bubbles were released for them to come closer, what an awesome sight.

Ive done a lot of shark diving and they are amazing creatures, they are for the most part more scared of us then we are of them. Im going diving with bull sharks next month on one of the local reefs, very cool. Ill take pictures and send them.

-

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Last edited by: Heavy D: Dec 19, 04 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: Awesome white shark site. [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where have you dived in the Caribbean (have you)? Saba and Grand Cayman have been the best for me, so far. Haven't yet had the opportunity to dive anywhere else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Awesome white shark site. [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Havent dove Saba, but i have dove Grand Cayman, I was impressed with the reef formations and wildlife but they cater too much to the tourists, Im an advanced diver, rescue diver to be exact, and I like to stop and check everything out but the dive marshalls, as I call them, seem to shuttle you along and get pissed when you hold up the line, i wont go back there unless I can dive on my own free will or people of my same level.

-

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is on my "must not do" list

sharks frighten the living s out of me
Quote Reply
Re: Awesome white shark site. [cookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DONT sh&t in the water, it just excites the sharks even more! LOL

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw an episode once where the guy got out of the cage and charged the white shark, the white shark fled with its tail between its legs, how smart, think about it, what challenges the top of the food chain, nothing, so if something does then they are not used to it and they run. So I guess next time a bear is chasing you, well turn around and charge him, and post the results here, ha.

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like an amazing time. Have you ever been to La Isla del Coco (Coco's Island) in Costa Rica? It's supposed to be very similar in terms of the hammerhead population. Although I've done some diving up close with some white tip reef sharks, which was absolutely amazing. At one point, a group of 8 of us came upon a smallish canyon-type formation, maybe 15 feet long by 8 feet wide. There were 4 white tips, all 6-7 feet, resting on the bottom. The smallest three quickly fled, but the largest quickly turned around and squared up with us just before leaving himself. It was the scariest and most exhilarating feeling I've ever had, face-to-face with an animal capable of killing in an instant. Count me in for diving with the Great White, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I just instantaneously decreased my 100y swim pace from 2:20ish down to 1:30. Thanks.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Imagine someone provoking you into a frenzy and then hiding in a cage watching what you do and saying it was 'cool', would that be funny.

I would call a girl super cool if she said she went diving full stop. Imagine every time you went out for a ride someone cut you off, or braked in front of you causing you to react, would it be 'cool'?

BTW I am a PADI, NAUI and IANTD scuba diving instructor with more than 4000 dives. I have dived 'skin dived' with great white sharks and they are not 'cool' but amazingly beautiful and graceful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great site to honor incredibly beautiful, though deadly, creatures.

If my mind could design a monster to inhabit my nightmares THIS would be it!:

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Awesome white shark site. [tri-espana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. Ya got an interesting point there.

Re: Awesome white shark site. [tri-espana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also think that those that dive in cages or go on shark feeding ventures are ruining the natural habitat of these great animals. If your gonna chum the waters and hide and flee into a cage or somehow tame these animals then you are ruining nature. Do you go into the woods and feed the bears, hyenas or tigers?????? I think not, so buy doing such all you do is decrease the fear that these animals have towards humans. I can go on and on but i wont, all I want to see is these animals in their natural habitat and admire them for their natural beauty.

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.oceanwideimages.com.au/...?cID=112&c=20299

There are some really cool photos on this site, and it seems like they're some of the same (or at least very similar) shots featured in the Discovery Channel produced programs Air Jaws and Air Jaws II. Coolest edu-TV programs I've ever seen. Those of you out there that are fellow Shark Week fans know what I'm talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hijacking again, the east side of Cayman was cool, we went on a wall dive, then they let us loose for a 45 minute shallow dive. I guess they figured we couldn't hurt ourselves. Saw a school of Barracuda.

Saba, on the other and, was awesome. A sea turtle swam with me for awhile.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply