Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need Help: IMNZ giving me the shaft
Quote | Reply
I hate that I have to actually post this, I was hoping that this would be resolved without having to complain on this board.

I signed up for Ironman New Zealand earlier this year in anticipation of being able to make the trip and have a go at the race. One reason I decided to enter is the very reasonable refund policy that is presented on the IMNZ website. Namely if I withdraw only $75 of my entry fee is non refundable. Very reasonable in my opinion.

As it turns out, I will be unable to make it to New Zealand next year to race. I've actually known this for several months. Accordingly, I have sent numerous emails to the contact email addresses on the IMNZ site as well as to the source of all of the athlete update emails. I have repeatedly attempted to contact IMNZ to inform them of my intention to withdraw my entry from the race and that I would like to receive a refund. I have yet to receive any sort of response or indication that I can expect a refund. As a matter of fact, I continue to receive race update emails and snail-mail race packets.

I am absolutely furious that IMNZ either doesn't answer their email or simply chooses to ignore my request for a refund. My concern is that their cut off date for race withdrawal is rapidly approaching. (1/9/05) All I'm asking is for what they promise on their website and am not looking for any special treatment or consideration. Turning a blind eye to customer service is despicable in my opinion and at this point I'm inclined to believe that the refund policy posted on the IMNZ site is solely a marketing gimmick.

If anyone can provide me with contact information of someone who is affiliated with the race who might actually have the ability to help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Quote Reply
Re: Need Help: IMNZ giving me the shaft [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I registered through active.com for IMNZ last year... did you try them?
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help: IMNZ giving me the shaft [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I registered through Active as well. Unfortunately they don't deal with refunds. They only handle the initial registration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably restating the obvious, but have you double-checked the email address you're sending to? Sometimes, a wrong name going to a right @... will disappear down a black hole, and neither sender nor receiver will realize it.

Have you tried getting in touch with them via there phone or fax numbers? (I can't see the NZ site, but did see what's up on ironmanlive.com). If those fail, then document how long you've been trying, and email WTC directly, since they're the license holder. And don't forget to print or save a copy of the website page that has the refund date on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Pooks,

Have you tried posting a message on the yahoogroups? i guarantee word will get to them that way. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/imnz/

Or, fax Jane Patterson.

Race Office contact details

25 Great South Road,
Newmarket,
Auckland,
New Zealand

PO Box 74 447,
Market Road,
Auckland,
New Zealand

Tel: 0064 9 522 5346
Fax: 0064 9 522 5421

Jane Patterson - Event Director
Steve Brebner - Sponsorship Sales Manager

Ironman Website address: www.ironman.co.nz

Email address is ironmannz@xtra.co.nz

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Pooks,

My expereince with the IMNZ crew was entirely positive, but they may be very busy people- not to in any way minimize the urgency and importance of your correspondence.

I wager if you use the contacts Ironclm has provided they will get to your request and take care of you.

-Too bad you couldn't race there, but I know the feeling. I've entered three Ironmans I haven't been able to race due to work, injuries, etc.

Good luck Sir!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for responding via posting or PM, I really appreciate it. Yet another reason to love this place.

One of the reasons I signed up for IMNZ is because of all the positive comments I've heard about the race and the race staff from folks on this forum and otherwise. This is one of the reasons I got so agitated about this issue. I had very high expectations. Perhaps my experience was just a fluke or oversight. Anyway, I hope this gets resolved and I'll post a follow-up if/when it does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pooks, call Jane Patterson at the number above. I know she is organising the Tauranga half as well, but so long as you time it right you will get her, and she will sort things out for you.

Good luck.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pooks,

I'm not sure about IMNZ's policy on refunds but this is from IMNA:

Refund/Withdrawal Policy for Ironman North America races

Athletes who withdraw by the applicable date will receive a partial refund of $150 US or $200 Cdn. There will be NO REFUNDS of any sort, for any reason, after the withdrawal date. Please notify the Ironman North America office in writing to withdraw via fax at (303) 449-4487. Refunds for all participants will be by check through the Ironman North America office. Entries are not transferable between years nor races.

Apparently they do not accept emails. You might need to request a refund in writing. I guess anyone could send a email requesting a refund.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help: IMNZ giving me the shaft [IronRod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet another reason why I don't do Ironman(tm) races anymore. Call me an anachronist, but I liked it when it was more intimate and personal. I know it's a business and all. But that doesn't mean I have to support it.

T.
Quote Reply