Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for you Texans??re: Lance
Quote | Reply
Serious question. Just curious. Wondering how big is Lance is to Texas pride.

As an outside observer I've noticed that Texans really are a sort of different breed. There's the "don't mess with Texas" mentality, several presidents including the current dude, a reluctance to admit that Alaska really is bigger, and of course the Alamo.

Just wondering where Lance fits into the state "big picture" in the eyes of the "average" Texan. On the world stage six TDF wins is mighty huge, but does Texas appreciate this? How does this compare to college football for example? Does Lance get the same respect in Texas as in France or the rest of Europe?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for you Texans??re: Lance [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Texans are a different breed, and in Austin we take it one step further. I think what people fail to realize is that because Texas is so big, you will get a different perspective of what a Texan is depending on what part of Texas you visit. Dallas is not Austin, Austin is not Houston, San Antonio ..etc..

As for Lance, he's the man, and we do appreciate it. Did you see the coverage of his parade in downtown Austin? It was the talk of the town the whole week and the day of, the town was buzzing.

The Ride for the Roses is important for many reasons, but his success is taking the ride to a whole new level. I work at a bike shop near the packet pick up for the event so I was fortunate enough to meet the people from all over the state and country that came into town for the ride. In addition, when people stop by the shop from out of town, the topic of conversation will at some point turn to Lance.

Lance sightings and what he's up to are both the subject of the local news and gossip, and everyone likes to tell stories of how they "know" Lance.

I could go on with more examples, but to answer your question, he is a big deal, and we know it.

I heard an interesting fact about Austinites and Texans that are known by their first name only. Willie (willie Nelson) , Lance, and Leslie ( a local Austin Icon that rides around town in a thong and has run for mayor..though unsuccessfully). I told you Austinites are different.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Serious question. Just curious. Wondering how big is Lance is to Texas pride.

As an outside observer I've noticed that Texans really are a sort of different breed. There's the "don't mess with Texas" mentality, several presidents including the current dude, a reluctance to admit that Alaska really is bigger, and of course the Alamo.

Just wondering where Lance fits into the state "big picture" in the eyes of the "average" Texan. On the world stage six TDF wins is mighty huge, but does Texas appreciate this? How does this compare to college football for example? Does Lance get the same respect in Texas as in France or the rest of Europe?

Yes... when I travel internationally and people ask me where I'm from I say "Texas" and without fail their eyes lite up and they smile and it evokes questions from them about what it's like in Texas. Some of the questions crack me up.

Lance is a big deal here... it seems like EVERYONE watches the Tour, rides an OCLV Trek and has a Livestrong bracelet... but I can't tell you if he's a bigger deal here than anywhere else. He dated my sister-in-law so I've spent some time with him and I like and respect the guy.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Question for you Texans??re: Lance [runboorun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I think what people fail to realize is that because Texas is so big.. [/reply]

I don't know about that. You could fit all of Texas inside Alberta - one of the smaller provinces. :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for you Texans??re: Lance [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm from alberta...it's much like texas :D

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance is on one of our licenses plates. As far as Lance and football goes Lance is a flea fart in a hurricane.

I say Lance gets more respect in Texas then Europe because he is one of us. He wears his Texas pride on his sleeve and that makes him much loved.

As far as the don't mess with Texas mentailty I pitty anyone who does not feel the place they live is the best. Pride in self, nieghborhood, city, state, nation is important. If you can't embrace where you live then why are you there?

Like all Texans though I am a Texan first American second.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for you Texans??re: Lance [krgregg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, where in Alberta. I'm in Calgary. You're right it is like Texas. Wehn I moved here I was told that

" our necks are a little redder than the rest of Canada". Not sure about that but love the place.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly I think Lance only gets the Texan attention once a year, and that's during the TDF. The rest of the year we really don't think about him very often (unless you live in Austin). But mention Texas to me and his name is the first thing I think of (with High School football a close second)

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Re: Question for you Texans??re: Lance [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Canadian by birth, Albertan by the grace of God"

;)

i'm from edmonton, actually going to school in kingston right now...little culture shock when i first got down here.

hoping to be in calgary next year for meds...but we'll see how that goes :D

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply