Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Floyd Landis speaks
Quote | Reply
Had an opportunity to listen to Floyd Landis speak today at my shop, Trek San Diego (Kerney Mesa). He seems like a really genuine nice guy, not overcome by his recent fame and sucesses. Really down to earth.

Some of the questions, and answers:

-----

Q: "How fast can you ride up Palomar?"

Floyd: (downplays his fast time, then says) "From the first store, to the stop sign at the top, well, 52 minutes".

-----

Q: "What did Lance say to you on Stage 17 last year on the final climb?"

Floyd: "Well, he asked me if I would like to win a stage of the Tour de France. I said YES, well actually I didn't really say anything, but Lance got the message, and then he said, 'well then ride down that hill faster than you have ever ridden down a hill before'. So I said OK, and I made my attempt, but then the German guys caught up, because they wanted the stage win as well, so I did not get it, but thats OK because those guys got nothing either."

-----

Q: "Do you train with a heart rate monitor, or with power?"

Floyd: "Most professionals today use some sort of powermeter for training, I use a Powertap, lots of professionals use a SRM. I have never used a powermeter for racing, but I have seen some interesting data from other riders who have used one while racing. I don't ride with a heart rate monitor in a race because the numbers do not mean much, I am not going to look down at my heart rate monitor to see if I can ride harder, I either have it or I don't".

-----

Q: "How many miles do you ride a year?"

Floyd: "Last year I rode 20,000 miles, the longest weeks were 400-500 miles".

-----

Q: "How did you get started in mountain bike racing?"

Floyd: "Me and a buddy got our mountain bikes from a local bike shop, the owner put on a MTB race and I entered, wearing sweatpants and a t shirt. I won the beginner race, and thought 'hey, this is great!', we travelled the US for a while racing the NORBA circuit and it was fun".

-----

Q: "How did you get into road racing?"

Floyd: "Well, MTB racing was losing sponsors, and I lost my sponsor and needed a job, and road racing was an opportunity, so I went that route, I never planned to be a professional road cyclist".

----------

Then there was talk about weight loss, bike weight, Bontrager wheels, and such.

----------

*And finally the last big question*

Q: "What about Phonak next year, what is going on there?"

Floyd: "This has caused me great stress and worry, but I signed with Phonak, and some things happened that were'nt good a while back with Phonak riders. Phonak is a top team, one of the best in the world. I will race for them next year. We have a great roster, top five team in the world".
Last edited by: Gary Tingley: Dec 18, 04 15:06
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Landis speaks [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that. His comments about power meters, using Power Tap and Phonak are very interesting.

How was the ride?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Landis speaks [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No ride, that is tomorrow at a shop north of here. Floyd seems to be making circuit appearances. If I have the time, I would do the Powertap/Floyd training camp, good riding, all local.
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Landis speaks [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, now you're trying to sell us all power meters on top of the mechanix gloves. What's next, 4 slot toasters?

Would you jsut give up already? =))

jg

Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Landis speaks [greenjt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not too mention the new line of Phonak. Uh, whatever that is.

Wishin' wont. Work will.
Quote Reply
Re: Floyd Landis speaks [DFray1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Not too mention the new line of Phonak. Uh, whatever that is."

DFray1,

Hearing aids.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply