Prev Next
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im looking forward to it. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cathy,

There appear to be a lot of hotels in the Fishermans Warf area which would be convinient for touristy type things and there is a good mix of room levels. Is this area good to stay in if wanting to get around without a car and close enough to race start to walk / ride?

The hotels in the lodging link on the website are in the Lombard street area which is close to the start of the race. Without knowing San Francisco, is this part of town okay (i.e., can you walk between the hotel and resturants in the evening - the hotels all being "Motor Inn's" makes it unclear if this is an okay part of town)?

Looking on the web, I'm guessing I'm looking at the $125 - $200 per night range.

Brent
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Lombard Street area is very fine to stay in. You would be within walking/riding distance to the start and smack between two very nice areas full of shops, restaurants and cafes (Union Street and Chestnut Street). I'd guess any of the motels on Lombard would be fine. Lombard itself has a number of restaurants too.

The Wharf is a little further and more difficult if you don't have a car. One main (heavily trafficed) road between the Wharf and the Marina Green, or along the waterfront up and over a big hill (and dark at night).

I'd much rather walk around Lombard/Union/Chestnut at night than the Wharf.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cathy,

Thanks for the info.

Brent
Last edited by: Brent F: Dec 18, 04 18:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" The Lombard Street area is very fine to stay in. You would be within walking/riding distance to the start and smack between two very nice areas full of shops, restaurants and cafes (Union Street and Chestnut Street). I'd guess any of the motels on Lombard would be fine. Lombard itself has a number of restaurants too. "
------------------------------------

I agree. We stayed at Hotel Del Sol just off Lombard St this year and it was great. Easy to get to the start of the race (5 mins cycle) and lots of restaurants nearby. Easy walk to the tram to get over to the main part of SF also.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it....Alcatraz Lottery [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it isn't that hard to get in via lottery, as the latest lottery list has approx. 800+ names on it. How can there be that many lottery spots available.....or do they assume a very high percentage of no-takers? It seems odd to me. Even if only 50% take the latest lottery slots, that's 400 entries + entries from the 1st lottery + the regular non-lottery entries + the race-qualifying slots = A LOT of entries ???

I am trying to decide whether to go, as it will be an expensive trip for me. I have been to SF before for business, and enjoyed the sights briefly, but I am still not sure of the bang-for-the-buck. This would be my first out-of-state race, and I'm just a MOP AGer. I am only used to the experience of paying $50 for a local sprint race. Guess I'll have to think about it for a few weeks.

G'Day,

Keith
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loser.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it....Alcatraz Lottery [pezdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wish I would have seen this thread before starting this one -

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...lapsed;guest=2798100
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too late. I already won last place. :),
See you there, Monk.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply

Prev Next