Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NASA offers free aero/fluid dynamics software for OS X
Quote | Reply
If you are simply not satisfied with the current state of aerodynamic wheels, frames, bars and seat posts, and would like to take a crack at designing your own, NASA has got the toy for you.

"TetrUSS is used in aerodynamics and fluid dynamics analysis, and has been used on major projects including High Speed Research / High Speed Civil Transport, Hyper-X, Abrupt Wing Stall, Mars Scout, Joint Strike Fighter and more. What's more, the software has been used in the civilian aerospace industry, academy, automotive, biomedical and civil engineering fields.

NASA research scientists and the Air Force Research Laboratory developed TetrUSS for their own use, and it has evolved into an unstructured-grid flow analysis and design Computation Fluid Dynamic (CFD) software system. It's available free of charge to U.S. entities, citizens and permanent residents. A free training course is even available at NASA Langley Research Center, as well."

The rest of the story and a link to the software is here:
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/05/19/tetruss/
Quote Reply
Re: NASA offers free aero/fluid dynamics software for OS X [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what it was ported from? There seems to be little mention of the OS it came from.. I figure it must be a UNIX flavor. I wonder if they provide source that is buildable to Linux?

mike
Quote Reply
Re: NASA offers free aero/fluid dynamics software for OS X [stretch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>I wonder what it was ported from? There seems to
>be little mention of the OS it came from.. I figure it
>must be a UNIX flavor.

yep, the article mentions it was ported from SGI (and then enhanced)

>I wonder if they provide source that is buildable to Linux?

doesn't look like it
Quote Reply
Re: NASA offers free aero/fluid dynamics software for OS X [stretch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since OS X is based on Unix it would make sense that was the case. It doesn't matter though, finally us MAC people have some software which should make at least some of the PC folks jealous (the geeks).

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: NASA offers free aero/fluid dynamics software for OS X [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and iTunes.. now if Apple would just come out with a fast mac ;)
Quote Reply
fast mac [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fast MAC? have you tried out the dual processor G4s? I mean heavy tasks like video rendering are done in seconds... smoking... never seen a PC do that kind of crunching... have seen an SGI do it though... but SGIs also cost 5 times as much.

Besides if you have worked on OSX, the stability is incredible. in 1.5 year 0 crashes and this is after really pushing my computer with multiple things open...

Speed is not just how fast a computer does something it also includes the down time rebotting your computer, recovering your documents, redoing things. etc...

MACs RULE!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: fast mac [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taku,
my dual 1.42 GHz is a pretty smokin' machine, but I think Motorola could *at least* enable the DDR memory access in the G4. It's kind of dumb to buy 2GB of fast RAM, plug it in a 333 MHz pipeline and have both CPUs access it at 167 MHz. I mean, it's pretty *poor* ...

About "pushing" the machine ... did you ever make your machine page so bad that /private/var/vm contained 22 swap files? :)

Dre'
Quote Reply
agreed [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree I am under no illusion that Aplle puts out Perfect machines... there always seem to be weird srchitectual things like that... I mean it took them a while to support DDR ram nad what is the point of using it if you are not going to use it to its full potential...

Sigh.. now if I could only afford one a dual 1.4... until then I would love to talk about why I shouldn't get one...
Quote Reply
Re: fast mac [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in my previous life I patiently waited for the arrival of the next generation CPU from Motorola.. I so desired a killer laptop to take care of all my music production needs.. especially for super heavy DSP usage... and I can't say enough good things about how smart Apple was to build their OS on a UNIX kernel, brilliant. I'm still waiting for those screaming fast laptops..

mike
Quote Reply
Mac Sucks! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geeks, at least we're not the nerds.
Just kiddin, I felt like being irritating.

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: fast mac [stretch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not screaming fast, but i have a cheap ($1500) 14" G3 800mhz, it photoshops close to as fast as my G4 800mhz tower. i wish my 2 ghz windows was as fast as either of my 800mhz macs.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: agreed [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taku,
First reason: read Slowman's post. Most stuff you do involves integer arithmetics, so the truly bitchin' FPU of the G4 isn't requested most of the time. It's about clock speed, not processor design, and this is why overheating/flaky Wintel machines are faster in most "benchmarks".

Second reason: because no company so far can write a half-decent parallel version of their software (actually, they can't even pull a half-ass one). So this commercial package you're spending your hard earned money on doesn't even see your second CPU.

So unless you're fluent in both parallelizing *and* vectorizing code, you won't really make your dual G4 "hurt real good".

Yes, my dual 1.42GHz rips, but my Pismo (G3 400) rocks! Keep your old machine until something really good happens.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: fast mac [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, you running OS X?? I wonder how well those 900 mHz G3 iBooks deal with OS X.. anyone running that kind of setup?

mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OS X works fine on the iBooks, you just need memory - 512 will do fine. I work with a guy who has it running on the 600Mhz iBook with no problems. I also have it running on my old iMac and it is nominally slower than OS 9, but is so much better designed that is is just a dream to work with.

I don't know if OS X actually makes you swim, bike or run faster, but I suspect it does not (just felt we should get back to the Triathlon stuff...).
Quote Reply
Re: NASA offers free aero/fluid dynamics software for OS X [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i wonder if william shattner will autograph my captain kirk toupe? i believe that the prime directive prohibits drafing in race and there for the itu should be brought before the council of q. has anyone kissed a girl? you are only running a 3.3 gig? hahaha i am running a 3.31! you slow pock!
does the duck tape or the paper clip look better holding my glasses together? no your pants aren't too short!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: NASA offers free aero/fluid dynamics software for OS X [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paper clip? Duct tape? Use BandAid, like everybody else ...

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Hmm, you running OS X??"

yes. i have an older mac on my lan that runs classic, for those apps that aren't available for OS X. everything else is 10.2.6.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone google 'tetruss'. It's also some sort of "adult only" swing set.
Quote Reply