Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ITB Injury--Returning to Running [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a reason for your ITB problems. Seek out the reason and correct it. Injuries don't just happen, there's always a reason.

Once the reason is found and you get back to running, start all over again. Begin with a very short run/jog and build from there. Within a month or so you can built do a sensible distance and take if from there. At the first sign of symptoms, stop at once and end the run. Don't ever run through it or finish off a run. Stop on the stop and stretch.

My ITB problems were a combination of always running on the same side of the road (the leg on the lower side of the camber became affected) and bad running shoes. Now I have new shoes and run up one side of the road and back down the same side to equal out the effects of the camber I'm much better. I found running down hill was a big problem while up hill actually eased the symptoms. So while it was bad I used the cross trainer (Nordic Skier) machine in the gym followed by a short up hill run on the tread mill. This maintained the majority of my run fitness and actually improved my hip flexor strength which probably helped with the ITB problems. I try to use the Nordic Skier a couple of times a month to continue with the hip flexor improvements.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go check this informaation out. I found it helped me heal fast and continuing to use the advice I've run pain free now for three months. Before that it was my limiter in races. I'd have a great swim, great bike, then rattle off a disgusting string of 10+ minute miles because my right IT band would blow up.

http://www.physsportsmed.com/...2_00/fredericson.htm

Good Luck, Karma

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The article cited by Karma is great. An orthopod I know (sub 10h IM) who had ITB problems said that the exercise shown in figure 9 was the very best exercise he has found for ITB problems. Strengthening and stretching the gluteus medius (g.m.) is crucial in most cases, according to him. Overlong striding may contribute in many cases, as it leads to tiring of the g. m. Concentrating on keeping the hips level and still during running may help as well.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep me posted through PM's, OK? I don't want to move this thread to the classifieds forum :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing -- not one single post suggesting that ART treatments would have helped. ART has helped me through several bouts of sore ITBs, not to mention ankle sprains, sore shoulders, tight hip flexors, psoas tension, etc.

I train harder than anyone I know and I do not lose training time due to injury, period. Not to say that I don't "get injured" -- I just get my muscle injuries treated with ART before they get worse. Seems that it's still "my little secret" even though I tell anyone who will listen, every chance I get.

Good luck with whatever regimen you choose -- but if it doesn't include ART, you could certainly be back up to full speed a heck of a lot sooner.

-Mike
Quote Reply

Prev Next