Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cramping in calves while on bike
Quote | Reply
Whenever I really exert myself on my bike my calves seem to prematurely cramp. I rarely ever have any other indication of cramping in any other muscles besides the calves (both right and left). I understand the importance of hydration and I don't feel that hydration is the sole reason for the tendency to cramp. I think that if it were driven by hydration or dehydration that cramps would appear in other muscles as well. My calves and thighs are very well developed. I run a minimum of 20 mi/week on mountains. So I don't think it's a matter of building the muscles to alleviate the problem. I have been thinking that I may need to get re-fitted on the bike or change some things on my bike in order to alter my position on the bike. Maybe my pedal stroke is somehow influencing the cramps? Any advice appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Cramping in calves while on bike [Burt'sH2OBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sodium supplements on the bike help me TONS. My calves are always the 1st thing to start cramping. I like the product from Sports Quest Direct. I belive they're called Thermolyte tablets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never heard of calf cramps on the bike. Huh.

I get them once in awhile when kicking wearing fins. No fun at all. Wife gets them in her sleep.

Not sure I believe anyone's explanations/theories.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok....I have no ideal if this is what your issue is, but I had this happen to me about two months ago for the first time ever. I purchased a new bike, had all of my fit measurements, bike dialed in and wham cramps on my first two rides. Nothing seemed that wrong, but I did feel a little long on the pedal stroke. I lowered the seat and have not had any more issues. Coincidence.....Maybe, but I have been riding for over 20 years and never had cramps in my calves. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats funny i get the same thing on my TT bike, but not the rest of my bikes. so i write it off to the position and how hard i'm riding on that bike? but if you find a good remedy post it!!!

bikedude...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to look at the fore/aft position of the cleats on your shoes. If the cleats are too far forward it can lead to excessive flexing of your calf muscles during the pedal stroke. You may want to consider moving them rearward and see if it helps. This worked for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Cramping in calves while on bike [bikedude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always "written it off" as simple amount of effort I'm putting out as well. But it seems odd that I never have any other relative problems with other muscles in my legs. I'm no expert on cycling mechanics but it seems as though your calves should play a relatively small role in the stroke????
Quote Reply
Re: Cramping in calves while on bike [burgerdp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"""""You may want to look at the fore/aft position of the cleats on your shoes. If the cleats are too far forward it can lead to excessive flexing of your calf muscles during the pedal stroke. You may want to consider moving them rearward and see if it helps. This worked for me.""""" That is what I was thinking...excessive flexing. I just wasn't sure how or the proper way to go about fixing it.
Quote Reply