Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P3 Initial Impressions
Quote | Reply
Last month I bought Francois' "old" 04 52cm P3 frame. It was too big for him but seems to fit me 5'9" just fine. My all-out TT pace is somewhere below his recovery pace, so I can say the bike is probably now in it's easy retirement years.

Since the goal of the bike is reducing TT time I thought I would share my impressions from a time saving perspective over the last two club time trials. Both are exactly 10k time trials, same course one month apart. Course is out and back course running N/S. Mostly rollers, never really flat.

November TT North wind 10mph
Giant TCR, CXP33's, normal drop bars
Avg Watts: 275
Total KJ: 271
Time: 16:28

December TT South wind 3mph (very calm)
Cervelo P3 Front H3 w/conti 19mm, rear CXP33 (powertap)
Avg Watts: 274
Total KJ: 274
Time: 15:03

The course was faster in December. Three people improved 27, 27, and 31 seconds. They did not have powermeters so it is tough to tell if they improved because of course conditions, conditioning, knowledge of the course, TT practice, or whatever.

My position on the Giant was not all that bad. In the November TT I was within 5 secs of someone that averaged 346 watts. He's bigger and had a jacket on. Unfortunately he did not do the Dec TT.

My position on the P3 is probably 81-82 degrees eff seat tube with no spacers and 7 degree downward tilt stem (flat). Other than a ride around the block, the warmup for the TT was my first ride on the P3. It took a little getting used to but by the time I got to the course I felt pretty comfortable. I may post some fit pics and get comments for improvement.

I can attribute a portion of my 75 second improvement to non-aero factors. My pacing was better, I had an even time and power split with 290watt avg on the last 2km. I'm guessing the better position on the bike and the H3 combined gave me a 40 second improvement. In the December TT two other people (on round tube bikes w/drop bars) had powermeters. I do not yet have their wattages for comparison (not sure what I would compare but it would at least be interesting).

So far I'm happy with the P3. With some position refinement and better conditioning the times will come down. Just not anywhere near Francois' level.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: P3 Initial Impressions [kburandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is excellent information. Thank you for the report.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it interesting that the watts generated stayed about the same but the time was about 80 seconds quicker over a 10K? That is alot of time improvement.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 Initial Impressions [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No kidding! I thought my training was paying off big time when I saw the time. Imagine my disappointment when I the watts were the same. My goal was to keep the same watts as I had done previously on the road bike, not go out as hard, and have a positive power (negative time) split. Although I can TT on the Giant with my elbows on the bars simulating an aerobar position it was more difficult to hold that power rotated so far forward (I'm just not used to the position).

Something important I forgot to mention:

First TT - jersey/gloves/arm warmers/leg warmers/regular helmet (all tight fitting)
Second TT - skinsuit/arm warmers/shoe covers/Prologue helmet (it was 66 degrees yesterday at 8:45am)

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now the question is, How do you run off the p3 vs the Giant?
Quote Reply
Re: P3 Initial Impressions [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no only crazy people swim and run!!!

I am a road/track racer that lurks in this forum because it has excellent information on bikes, position, equipment, etc. Road guys have to do well in the ITT to place in stage races. Hopefully I will improve to at least mid-pack in the time trials this year. I thought this info would help put something back into the site since I've gleaned so much info from it.

Kevin
Quote Reply