Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TreadMill Marathon - New Record [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with cbot and dev here. You can't compare the 2 situations because I don't believe the 4 hour marathoner's effort (physical and mental) is even close to the effort to put out a sub-2:30 marathon. Saying this doesn't make anyone elitist. It just means that we recognize that there's a difference to someone like me working my tail off for a PR and someone setting a world record.

World class marathoners can run a 2h30 marathon without any increase in blood lactate. This would be very easy for them.

It takes lots more power to run a 2h30 marathon than to run a 3h30 one. But more effort ? The perceived exertion rate is what it is. Two persons working at 15, are enduring the same amount of pain. Why would 15 be 'harder' on the world class athlete ?

I assumed most of you have been training for many many years. Do you suffer more in your races, now that you are faster than you were as beginners ? In my case, I would argue that I suffer less now, since I know exactly what I can endure, and for how long. There are no more crash and burn that can be really really painfull.

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Re: TreadMill Marathon - New Record [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you are saying is that you would be bored out of your skull if you had to run in one spot for 4 hours. I get very bored on the treadmill even if I am watching TV. i find the best way to do a longer treadmill run is to watch a sporting event.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: TreadMill Marathon - New Record [fbrissette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois just hit the nail on la tete.

My first marathon, a 3:38 required a pretty similar effort to my last marathon a 2:37. Racing is racing, and when it comes to the marathon they pretty much all hurt when you give them your all.

One thing I will add however in Paul's defense. The physical pain and mental anguish required to get into 2:37 shape far outweigh the sacrifices needed to run 3:38.

100+ mile weeks are long painful and mentally draining no matter which way you dice them. 2:30 runners definitely suffer more in training, thats why they DON'T suffer more in races.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: TreadMill Marathon - New Record [fbrissette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually find that I suffer a lot more now than I did when I was starting out.

I think it is because I am better aware of how much suffering our bodies are able to tolerate than I was when I began racing. In retrospect I don't think I pushed myself as hard when I was starting out as I do now b/c I didn't think I could go any harder w/o collapsing.

I think our ability to push our bodies in racing and thus suffer more develops in parallel to our physical development. Just the opinion of a MOPer.

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Re: TreadMill Marathon - New Record [The Big Cheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Low temperature, maybe, but pointing a fan at somebody creates wind drag just as exists outdoors.

I had a feeling someone would point that out !

You are correct. Running at 4minutes per km in still air outdoor would be the same in terms of drag as running with a fan projecting a 15 kmh uniform air jet. The backward fan would actually help you run even faster ! Not sure how much cooling it would provide.

I actually tried several fan configurations, and the best I found is still a huge fan right in front although a floor fan blowing vertically is not bad. Theoretically, it also reduces your weight ... :-)

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply

Prev Next