Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about injuries from using race shoes
Quote | Reply
I do all my training in a pair of Asics 2090's. I've been running in the 2000 series since about 2050's or so and not many problems. The shoes do me good. Last spring, I bought a pair of the Gel DS Racers from Asics. I raced them in some sprint tri's and a couple of 5k's throughout the summer.

A couple of months ago, I ran a 5k in them and my right achilles got tore up. It was hurting pretty bad and I just stopped running for about 3 or 4 weeks until it was better. I'm running again now with no problems, but now I'm scared to wear my racing shoes.

I was talking to a buddy of mine who runs alot and he suggested that the reason my achilles tore up was because of the difference in height of the two pairs of shoes (the 2090's and the DS Racers). The height difference being the height of the bottom of my foot in relation to the ground. The 2090's, with the extra padding, places my foot higher from the ground than my Racers did. So, the Racers being lower stretched my achilles a little more than it was used to, causing the flare up.

Does this make any sense? How do ya'll manage training in one pair of shoes and racing in another? I'm up for any suggestions.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about injuries from using race shoes [alb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your buddy could be correct, but that minimal shoe height difference over a 5K is not "usually" the culprit. I also race in DS racers and train in Mizuno wave nirvanas and Gel Kayanos for long days.

As is usual, most runner are very tight in the hamstrings and gastro/soleus complex. Also, you likely ran MUCH faster in a short 5K than on your training runs (and that probably had more to do with your Achilles tendonitis than the actual shoe).

Quote | Reply
I'd second rroof reply (he's the foot expert).

I ALWAYS get hurt in 5Ks.....so I basically don't "race" them anymore, only the "social" 5Ks now. My achilles will ache along with a nagging hip issue....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to say. rroof could be right, but the calf is among the shortest-contracting big muscles in our bodies (relative to its length). It's a "high-force/short-motion" muscle. It barely contracts an inch when running, so even a 1/4" change can mean a 25% change in the lengthening you are asking it to do before each contraction. Something to ponder.

One idea: Either train in your race shoes or race in your training shoes. Pick one and stick with it.
Quote Reply