Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

lower leg issue
Quote | Reply
I saw a thead on this ealier, but would like some feedback. I am in my "off season" not doing much, coming off of a season doing a lot (15 to 20 hrs per week). After doing some light runs, 20 to 30 min, I am getting this pain on the inside of my lower leg, below my calf muscles, yet above the ankle bone. Does not seem to be a lot in that area anyhow? I wear asics 2090 or whatever their new version is, and superfeet,(am a light runner, 115 lbs) which have completly eliminated any IT band issues I used to have-along with a foam roller and ART. (ART is amazing by the way, 2 yrs of IT band gone!!) I also went from trail running to running on cement-probably not good and no doubt contributing to the issue. It hurts on the push off of my stride. Also the inside of my foot seems very tight, toes seem tight. The pain will go away, but the cause is the important thing! I also just ordered the TP massage ball kit. Any feedback on the cause and the TP massage ball equipment?
Quote Reply
Re: lower leg issue [Renner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a search on a thread titled ouch, my calf hurts or something like that. Sounds like you might have the injury discussed there. It is a very good thread if it applies to you.
Quote Reply
Re: lower leg issue [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Will look for thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like a tight soleus muscle. check out www.tpmassageball.com. Their small roller thing does wonders for it. At least google soleus stretch and start doing those. Sounds like you are on your way to a calf strain and/or plantar fasciitis unless you get this under control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soleus muscle lies beneath and slightly below the Gastrocnemius (calf) and this could be the cause, but your "tight" and inside description likely points to the PT (Posterior Tibial) muscle/tendon and this lies in the medial aspect of the lower leg, running behind the medial malleolus (inside ankle bone) and inserting into the medial navicular (main insertion) and most of the bottom of the foot.

Being 115# and with the shoes/inserts you described and previous ITB syndrome, this is most assuredly a "tightness"/strectching issue.

Re: lower leg issue [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered the tp massage ball set and will go in for a quick ART session this week. I bet it's very tight too as I now remember a couple months back, it hurt, but after a mile, it went away after warming up. I probably let it get away from me. It does not bother me when I bike or walk or go upstairs at all....thanks for all the input!! I am going to Italy in May for Du Worlds to defend my title-ha ha (won my age group in Denmark) so if I'm having problems this early I'm in a world of hurt if I don't get it taken care of. I think it will be one "hilly" race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask 10 guys the same question and you'll get 10 different answers, here is mine:

I think I have the exact same issue. I also use 2090 (2100 now). My soreness is definitely below the calf, half way to the foot, dead center of the back of the leg. Last week I saw a sports massage therapist (she is staff for my local University Track team). I told her of my problem and assumed I should stretch the calf more; her suggestions were just the opposite: she said the muscle in question was already stretched too much and in fact it was "taunt" and beginning to tear. OK what should I do and what was the cause: she said it was too tight quads and hamstrings. As these major muscles in the top of the leg get tight, they pull on the weaker/small muscles in the surrounding areas. The weakest link stretches to the max and eventually begins to tear. This is what we now have. Other posts describing the name of the muscle, etc are exactly correct.

I try to run with more of a flat foot to avoid this pain as the foot flex's, I ice and take it easy. Even going down stairs can aggrivate the muscle. I thought this would be a good time to put more time in on the bike, but in fact this could magnify the problem. We should stretch the Hams and quads, easy and long, vary the stretch position. I find a treadmill is much softer on the feet and it is easier to control the foot movements.

Please keep me informed if you discover any contrary, or supporting info, I also need to get over this nagging injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it on the bone, or in the muscle / tendons?

Deke
Quote Reply
Re: lower leg issue [deke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, in reply to where it is, it's not in the muscle, nor really the tendons, that's what is so weird, it's in that "dead" area right below the calf muscles and right above the ankle, yet on the side. All my previous issues stem from tight hamstrings, so nothing would surprise me. It seems like others on this forum had the same issue, so it's interesting to hear what others say. I know I overstretch too, so this could be the issue. It's just frustrating because all year I can run 18 miles at a time, no issues, then I take some time off, run 3 miles and there it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran 14 miles 2 weeks ago, I ran 1 mile on Saturday and walked home! Maybe overtraining inflames something? I'm icing the spot and staying low for a week or two. When I start up again, I think I do a 15 minute treadmill run everyday for a week, the next week 20 minutes per day; and progress up by 5 minutes per week (as suggested by trainer).
Quote Reply