Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin question for Tom D (or anyone else)
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Do you have a serial port on your computer to plug your Garmin 201 into? I do not and bought a serial to usb converter. I installed it but when I plug it into my Garmin it says no device found. Any thoughts or help?

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin question for Tom D (or anyone else) [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The USB to serial adapters should create another COM port, like COM5.

I've gotten my 201 to work via a USB to serial adapter. I had it plugged into the serial port but wanted minimize the cables I don't use all teh time.

The thing I had to change was which com port the forerunner software looked for the 201 on.

Make sure the USB adapter is listed under ports device manager (I'm assuming your running windows)

Hope that helps

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't have to do anything for mine to work, the computer should just recognize a new device and do what it needs to do. It also should be searching all of your ports, so it shouldn't matter which one you plug it into. My initial guess is that you bought a cheapo serial-->usb connector and it won't work. Not all serial-->usb connectors will work. Mine cost about $25 retail from BestBuy, and there are some one Ebay for about $5-10, but many of those will definitely not work, and some of the auctions even admit to this. It's really a great device, I hope you get it working soon. Will you be using Garmin's software or going the motionbased.com route? If it weren't for motionbased and my forerunner I wouldn't feel like an elevation gain hero.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin question for Tom D (or anyone else) [Androgynotopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a Belkin brand and says Windows XP compatibble. It is not cheap cost me $28.00. When I open motion based it does do a search for supported device but comes upo "not found". I even tried plugging it into a different port and no luck. I guess maybe I should return it and get another one. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Bob,

You're probably not as dumb as I am, but I'll throw this out there. Initially I had a "device not found" error with my 201. The problem was I didn't have the cable from my serial port properly shoved into the A/C desktop charger with serial interface cradle. There shouldn't be any silver showing back there.

btw does anyone know when the 301 Forerunner is going to be available retail?

Good luck,

Mike

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin question for Tom D (or anyone else) [asd99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You're probably not as dumb as I am, but I'll throw this out there. Initially I had a "device not found" error with my 201. The problem was I didn't have the cable from my serial port properly shoved into the A/C desktop charger with serial interface cradle. There shouldn't be any silver showing back there.

Good luck,

Mike
Armytriguy, don't discount what Mike is saying here, I had the same problem initially, and got all bent out of shape and frustrated for about ten minutes. Then I pushed the thing in harder and it worked and I was simultaneously embarrassed, excited, and relieved. You can talk to Aaron R. at motionbased if you keep running into problems, he is extremely helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin question for Tom D (or anyone else) [Androgynotopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe/Mike,

Well as Homer Simpson says DOH!!. I did not have the pin shoved all the way in. Thats what is great about this forum. The wealth of knowledge. Thanks for you help guys.

Bob
Last edited by: armytriguy: Dec 12, 04 12:00
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin question for Tom D (or anyone else) [asd99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of people on the forum indicated not until after the first of the year.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our old machines had this multi-USB port adapter that enable us to use four USB devices simultaneously. It was fully sketch. Blew up about once a day.

About three months ago we trashed every box in the store and bought new machines. Big bucks. All machines now running XP, all hard-wire networked, all super stable now. Zero crashes.

I now have a USB 2.0 port in my desk top and a regular USB in my armored laptop. I've never had an issue with the device not being found. I'm not certain what to tell you on this.

I think my response would be to go back through the instructions carefully starting from the softwre install after re-booting. Then it may pick the device up.

-Sorry I'm not of more assistance. All those years of computer science wasted....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin question for Tom D (or anyone else) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom. Turned out it was Head Space and Timing. I didn't have the pin pushed all the way in to the Garmin. I am so impressed with this thing and Motion based rocks. I can't believe how coo it is.
Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure you're not in the Air Force?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply