Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hey SoCal'ers, wanna see some awesome TT machines all in one place?
Quote | Reply
Go to the ADT Event Center this weekend for the UCI World Cup track races. I went to the morning session today, and man are there some beautiful bikes – no gears, no brakes, beautiful in design and function. As this was the first track race I’ve ever been to, I made a few other observations:

1. The ADT Event Center (aka LA Velodrome) is an impressive complex. I first saw it last week during the ‘cross races that were held there and was compelled to see the races this weekend.

1. Track racing is fast – real fast. I saw the Men’s Keirin, Women’s TT, Women’s Sprint, and Men’s Pursuit – all I can say is wow. The women were averaging around 39 mph for 250 meters – you do it without a draft. And, there’s nowhere to hide in the Pursuit.

1. The rather large rear-ends of those very fast women will never make the “daaaaaaam” thread. I mean, really, outside the venue, you’d never guess some of these women were world-class athletes (not that I have room to talk).

1. Some of the men and women don’t look quite…ummmm…natural. Enough said.

1. There is a large disparity amongst the “have” and “have-not” nations. There was this one poor kid (and I mean kid) from Uzbekistan, or Kazikstan, or Kersplashistan – one of those “…istan” nations. Anyway, he was way outclassed by a Japanese rider he went up against in the Pursuit, and to rub salt into his wound, he was riding some beat up old steel rig which made more noise than the starting pistol. Good thing the Felt booth wasn’t open – I probably would have plopped my credit card down right then and there and handed him the bike. Other’s had no help, and, since they’re basically strapped down to their pedals, had to catch the inside railings to stop themselves and then pry their way off their bikes.

Attend a session if you can. I, for one, can’t wait to give it a try. Looks like too much fun to pass up. Oh, and if you do go, look around the grounds and see the horrific damage we ‘crossers caused during the rains last Sunday. I hope the event organizer is planning on paying for/repairing the landscape damage. Either way, I’d be surprised to see another ‘cross race there.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply