Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

non Ch aero disc cover on Ebay - anyone ever seen this
Quote | Reply
any input? Must be some kind of vinyl or polyester type of material. Its called a Uni-Disc cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&item=7119996204
Quote Reply
Re: non Ch aero disc cover on Ebay - anyone ever seen this [Ben Runkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Uni-disc goes back a long time. Most of the ones I've seen advertised on ebay are for 6/7 sp freewheels. Surprised that nobody makes them any more.
Quote Reply
Re: non Ch aero disc cover on Ebay - anyone ever seen this [Ben Runkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does "Hoops are made from seawater" mean?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: non Ch aero disc cover on Ebay - anyone ever seen this [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why only a 6/7 sp freewheel?

And what material is the cover? It looks like it folds up in the box.
Last edited by: Ben Runkle: Dec 10, 04 14:29
Quote Reply
Re: non Ch aero disc cover on Ebay - anyone ever seen this [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does "Hoops are made from seawater" mean?

that one baffles me too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Why only a 6/7 sp freewheel? "

Because the Uni-disc is an older design that dates back to that era. The 6/7 sp freewheels on 126 mm width wheels pre-dates the 9/10 sp cassettes on 130 mm wheels that we have now.

The Uni-discs that fit the freewheels date from the 80's and early 90's. I don't know if they still were making them by the time the 8 sp cassettes first came out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 of these at home and haven't used them in years...about 10 to be exact!. One of them is the standard Uni cover, the other is the 'Stealth' version which is made from a different material and is stretchier and desn't krinkly up when wet (the standard one does). The freewheel is irrelavant, you have to take off your cassette or freewheel to install them and they'll work with 10 speed I would imagine. You also have to snap on these little plastic slips on each spoke, that's what the disk attaches to, they're pretty light, aero, and cheap! I'm not sure how they compare to the CH Aero covers.
Quote Reply
Re: non Ch aero disc cover on Ebay - anyone ever seen this [JP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The freewheel is irrelavant,"

That's very true. They will fit any wheel. I was dating them to the time that they were made. guess I wasn't very clear. My bad.
Quote Reply
Re: non Ch aero disc cover on Ebay - anyone ever seen this [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cerveloguy, I think we both responded at the same time, I never read your response before I responded! What you're saying is correct, these were on the market at the time of 6/7 speed freewheels so I guess they were just letting people know that the covers worked for both. I also spelled irrelevant wrong!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This kinda made me chuckle that you did not know what it was ...I guess it kinda dates both of us. I used one in the early 90's as a real disc was out of reach for me and it seemed to perform wel,l albeit with some problems.

Basically it was a magnesium hoop that was cut to size by you and a fabic was stretched over it and tied with elastic cord which was supposed keep it tight. (That was the problem they always seemed to shift and create loose spots.) You then put these clips over your nipples...on the wheels I mean, which held the hoop in place.

I would wet the fabric with a sponge and set it in the sun before using and that made it tighten up enough for a ride or two. Outside transport on a rack was out of the question though. I learned that one the hard way.

I've often wonder what happened to them as it was very VERY cheap speed. I think I paid 29 bucks for it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think one of the reason they went out of business was they they were a little schitzofrenic about their mission. Check out the item for sale along with disc cover...

They were these tabs that you clipped on your spokes that actually made you ride SLOWER. Was supposed to have some training value, more resistence more work. I think they also advertised you could ride slower when it was cold at higher intensity. ?

Quote Reply