Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shorty Aerobars...
Quote | Reply
All last year I felt terribly stretched when in my aerobars and that uncomfortability translated into times that I thought could be much better. I read a lot of things in the offseason and one thing that has jumped out at me this year is the short aerobar. I noticed them first on the TDF, but I thought they were some crazy thing they were just using to make the bikes UCI-weight legal. Imagine my surprise when I found out that was true but there was also a function.

I have seen a couple of designs that look appealing to me in this short market: the Profile Jammer and FSA's Vtech shorty. Now both of these have a quite different approach to hand position and this is where I turn to you, my friendly reader.

What gives? Is this only a matter of perference? Is there some science to this I am unaware of?

Any and all assistance would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Shorty Aerobars... [FatBomber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried the FSA bars, but have a pair of the Jammers and I love them! I found on my road bike, I was too stretched out on regular aero bars. My husband suggested the Jammers and I picked up a pair. They were the answer. My hand position is not a problem on them. They are comfortable and a good fit. Check them both out, if you can and go from there. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Shorty Aerobars... [lead swede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one experiment in the works as I purchased a set of the FSAs for my father for Christmas to put on his Lightspeed Solano.

We'll see how it works out. Thanks for the input on the jammers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference is the hand position with the new S bends. I have never tried them so have no idea if they are just a new gimmick to sell more product or if they really are more comfortable. I've used the Profile Jammer GT's and found them OK, but not quite as comfortable as the small size Syntace C2's. Syntace also has a new shorty bar out that is probably worth a look since there other stuff sets comfort standard IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the profile jammer bars and really liked them. Very adjustable length wise and rotational - so your hands can be positioned how you like them.
If you want mine I'll sell them. Used 1 season.
I moved to the syntace c2's to get a little more extension than the jammer's offered.

Barry

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Shorty Aerobars... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have to agree with the Syntace comfort factor. I love my C2s, but they are waaaaaay far away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have purchased both the jammer and FSA's for my wife's bike (I have a dedicated tribike, she has a road bike). Niether of us liked the jammers. We found the hand position ackward on them. It seemed that the elbow pads are too high compared to where you grip the bar, making it difficult to get a good hand position. I just put the FSA shorty on my wifes bike a few weeks ago, and it seems much more natural. I haven't seen her ride it yet, but just sitting on it, she reports it to be much more comfortable, and it looks more comfortable as well.

I might also recommend the oval concepts shorty. It has longer up-bends on it than the jammers.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the new shorty Syntace bars that I was referring to:

http://www.syntace.com/...cfm?pid=3&pk=736
Quote Reply
Re: Shorty Aerobars... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
138 euros! That's a spicy meatball! They sure look nice, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a comparison here's the Vision Tech/FSA bars

http://www.visiontechusa.com/...axid=143&pid=252
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a link in USD. They seem to be in line with the regular C2 retail.

http://www.trisports.com/syxxsae.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Vtech (fsa) minis on my soloist, since it is set up as road bike, it makes for a nice aerobar and doesnt add much weight to the bike. It weighs 17.5 lbs with em on. I use the soloist for road racing (take off the bars) and hilly tris- dus- tts. If you feel too stretched out, did you look at first bike fit? Maybe your stem is too long, or your seat is too far back or the frame has a long top tube. Sometimes a good bike fit can be the solution. Granted a bike fit is not as fun as "fun" as buying something new for your bike!

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Re: Shorty Aerobars... [jasonogk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fit will happen this spring sometime now that I have scraped together the $125!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how long are the fsa TT bars , i ride kinda bunched up and forward, i'm thinking of using the Vision base bar and chopping the carbon bars down? these TT's are quite elegant tho, any one have a weight for the TT's

lowered and chopped ;)

i think there, 4 am
Quote Reply