Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any studies showing vitamins help?
Quote | Reply
Have you run across ANY published and peer reviewed scientific studies showing that healthy, youngish male athletes eating a natural balanced diet should take vitamin supplements?

I'm getting pressured to take multivitamins and various crap, shark nipple extract, etc.. My response is show me a good study and I'll think about it. I'm healthy, have a great diet with lots of fruits and veggies as natural, fresh and raw as possible. I eat far more than 2,000 kcal a day. Why should I take pills to acheive what I am already getting?

The only thing I can find on PubMed are plenty that state they could not find a benefit for healthy people, and plenty about the benefits to people with diseases and eating abnormalities.
Quote Reply
Re: Any studies showing vitamins help? [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's pressuring you? I'm curious to know. As for studies, I do know that there have been a couple recently stating the potential danger of receiving certain anti-oxidants in high doses in supplemental form. I'm no dietician but if your diet is as you say, I can't see a man-made version being better than natures own.

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need extra vitamins.

Shark nipple extract, however, will give you a beautiful, shiny coat.

I recently had to renew my membership at the gym. I got a fantastic price and it came with 4 sessions with a trainer. I was going to throw it away, but I asked around and was told there was a good trainer that could help tech me some better stretches. He's been giving me a real hard time, which I don't mind too much since I can tell him to go stuff it.

Periodically my wife feels the need to mother me a little, really has nothing to do with science or any objective reason at all.

----------------------
Shark nipple extract, however, will give you a beautiful, shiny coat.
----------------------
Excellent! It is really hard to come by though. I'm also a fan of putting healing crystals in my shoes while I run, it helps fight off injuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I know - medical letter did a vitamin issue - only vitamin shown to be any good for anything was folate if you are a woman and want to get/or get pregnant. Might have been one more - can't remember but it didn't apply to me (young/healthy/man).

Young healthy men - I'd advise against them.

Shark stuff - very non-PC. Seriously I'd avoid all vitamins, herbal stuff, supplements, powdered anything. I like fruit, vegetables, red meat, other meat, eggs, whole milk, butter..... More man-made or more processed or newer/improved products (margarine) likely worse for your health than the stuff thats been around for a long time.....

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Any studies showing vitamins help? [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
before you take any supplements, read part 4 of Marion Nestle's Food Politics. It's a huge money making industry, but has not been shown to do anything for people, except make their pee yellow (that is the pill you're peeing out!)

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The idea of taking a supplement is to fill a gap. Sounds like you have all the cracks filled. No need to pay more for what you are already handling.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, but I can assure you that lack of vitamins can hurt.

One takes vitamins to prevent deficiencies, not to "improve" performance but to avoid "hurting" performance. Beyond that the data will be thin.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The eye Doc told Mom, eat Dark green veggies . Vitamins don't do shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Any studies showing vitamins help? [Helitech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 The eye Doc told Mom, eat Dark green veggies . Vitamins don't do shit.
----------------------
But at the same time, it is amazing how long I refused to eat fruits and veggies and how long I felt like crap.
Quote Reply