Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Threshold watts for intervals [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi again,
In Reply To:
Hi Paul,

I am indeed using ErgVideos - they are great! I love them! I always ride with the tv on but end up watching the video instead.

Hope you enjoyed your ride tonight. I have a day off since I'm sick. Boo.

I crushed them. Good to hear you are pleased with the product.

In Reply To:

So MAP is something that I will have to play by ear, almost, and learn what is right for me.

Well...no actually. In the same way that you can improve or "work on" other performance factors by training within a RANGE of power and durations that improve them (the topic of other posts above), the same for MAP. So even though your ACTUAL MAP may not be precisely at 128% of your FTP, you will still make improvements to it when working anywhere from say 120% to even ...oh 135% (don't make me be super precise on this)....but that's WHY "zones" have a range and not a specific number. Likewise FTP improvement can happen at (again, imprecise) 90-105% of FTP.

So you should not sweat (figuratively) the fact that riding at 128% for a few intervals isn't totally exhausting you or that it may not be at the EXACT number of your MAP test....that ain't the point. You are trying to train the performance factor by training at a target power as much as possible in the session, and the rest periods allow you to do more. If you are finding it easy...try adding a set, and leave the power level alone.

This is a hard to understand,old, but insightful article showing how a continuum of workouts for performance factors can be developed. Of interest (to me) is how many different things you can do to train essentially the same factor.

Paul

ErgVideo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Threshold watts for intervals [Paul Smeulders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, I think I'm getting it now.

I still think my biggest problem with all of this is having my leg capacity catch up to my aerobic capacity. Worrying about MAP may be academic until then, though I'm hoping using workouts designed to improve my MAP will improve my legs.

That is a very good article - dense, I will probably read it a few times - but helpful. I think it's slowly sinking in! :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next