Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2005 Florida Half Ironman
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of traveling to Disney and competing in the Florida Half in May of 2005. I've read other threads and responses elsewhere that described the 2004 event as a complete debacle. According the the race web site they are have altered the run course so the majority of the course will no longer be on concrete. However, based on posts there seemed to be a lot of complaints about the distance from the parking lot to transition area, transition area in a sand lot, and a 1.3 mile run from swim exit to transition area. I'm not one to complain about much and I easily make do with the circumstances I'm presented with but I would hate to travel there and have the event just be a disaster. Anyone who competed last year or is familiar with changes please let me know what you think.

Cheers, Burt
Quote Reply
Re: 2005 Florida Half Ironman [Burt'sH2OBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard that they redid the swim exit to T1 and it is no longer 1.1 miles, plust the run course will now be 13.1 miles...all hearsay
Quote Reply
Re: 2005 Florida Half Ironman [Burt'sH2OBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burt,

I did the race in 2004. In 2004, the original race plan had the run in t1 as being 1.1 and it was going to be included towards the 13.1 mile run. The course was changed, and the run was much shorter, around 250 yards. T1 was in sand and the mats that were placed were a complete debacle. Overall it was an ok race. I have not read or heard anything about the t1 area being changed which is needed IMHO. The run course is being changed, but I did not think it was that bad to begin with. It did have several turns, but it was described that way in the course description.

Other then the sandy t1 the swim in lake was not the best. The lake had a lot of vegitation and at times you are swimming with under water plants scratching you. It was mor of an annoyance but none the less for $195 you hope for better conditions.

IMHO it seemed that disney and imna work together like vinegar and oil. The bike course was fairly flat but ok and not too crowded. They did a good job starting the swim in waves which broke up the field size. With that all said, I just signed up for the race in 2005. My motivation is to try and get a IMNA spot to one of the closed out races.

If you have specefic Q's please let me know.

Good Luck,

RF
Quote Reply