Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with old(er) bike parts... Please!!!
Quote | Reply
So – I told a friend that I would do him a favor and move all his components from one bike to another…

Now – none of this stuff is ‘exactly new’ so I’m having trouble with a solution.

Anyway… In the process of moving the components, let’s just say I rendered his rear shift/brake lever totally inoperable.

Messed it up so good I don’t even want to have a discussion about how to fix it – it’s done.

So this bike had Shimano RX100 7-speed shift/brake levers with an original Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur. Yes – it actually worked because we stripped it from a working bike.

So – does anyone have a set of RX100 shift/brake levers? Know of a place I can get them?

Anyone have any older Shimano 8-speed shifters they would like to sell/donate?

I’ve looked into upgrading to 8 or 9 speed current components, however, that would also mean changing out the chain, rear derailleur and cassette (some of which are brand new).

If I upgrade to 8 or 9 speed – do I also need a new crank/chainrings?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with old(er) bike parts... Please!!! [GaryKlingerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check ebay for the older stuff, or used upgrade parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Shimano 600 set (8 spd) if you are interested let me know.

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So this bike had Shimano RX100 7-speed shift/brake levers with an original Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur. Yes – it actually worked because we stripped it from a working bike.

Of course it would, I can't see why it wouldn't

In Reply To:
So – does anyone have a set of RX100 shift/brake levers? Know of a place I can get them?
Anyone have any older Shimano 8-speed shifters they would like to sell/donate?

Check ebay.

In Reply To:
I’ve looked into upgrading to 8 or 9 speed current components, however, that would also mean changing out the chain, rear derailleur and cassette (some of which are brand new).
If I upgrade to 8 or 9 speed – do I also need a new crank/chainrings?

Not for 8, but 9 speed, yes.
The frame might not be able to accomodate 8/9 speed. For 8/9 speed the rear spacing needs to be 130mm (IIRC it was 126mm for 7 speed)

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with old(er) bike parts... Please!!! [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't have any luck on ebay looking for the RX100 levers then Modolo Morphos shift levers work on Shimano 7,8,9 and Campagnolo 8 and 9 speeds. They're not cheap (around $200 US) but might be an option. http://www.giroposte.com in Canada has them. Try emailing / calling http://www.yellowjersey.org as they have a really big stock of all kinds of out of production parts.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can get 7sp STI shifters new from Sheldon Brown,
http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1015
but they're $130, quite a piece of change.

Upgrading to 8spd requires only a cassette and shifter change, everything else in the drivetrain should work fine. I'm using a 6spd derailleur with 6spd crankset on an 8spd bike which is my race bike, the shifting is fine.
For 9spd you may need a new inner chainring, and certainly a new chain. I'd try the der first on 9sp before buying a new one, it might well work - with the appropriate high/low adjustments of course.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be getting rid of an 8 speed cassette soon

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply