Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Draft Legal Age Group Tri World's ???
Quote | Reply
Dan3 posted this on another thread, but I felt the topic of age groupers going draft legal at age group worlds deserved its own post. I suspect that many of you will have strong opinions on it.

http://www.triathlon.org/...ions-resolutions.pdf

I can just see it the scenario....crash city !!! What is wrong with the way things are ?
Quote Reply
Re: Draft Legal Age Group Tri World's ??? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Remember this was only a resolution from the Brazilian Tri Fed. It may have been massively turned down at the congress. That's what we need to know.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Draft Legal Age Group Tri World's ??? [Dan3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, I hope it was :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the sake of argument, how many World Championships, National Championships and Regional races have you been to where the AG packs on the bike were just rolling along w/ no penalties being given out and nothing being done to break them apart?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that the resolution put forward by the brazilian fed was withdrawn prior to the congress.

Joel

>>>>
JoelFilliol.com - check out the Real Coaching Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Draft Legal Age Group Tri World's ??? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My last AG Worlds was in 1994, so I can't speak from experience, but I am interested in going to future WC events. I'd say a lose illegal pack is still safer than a tdf style peleton :-). Czone, thanks for the update
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only way this could work is by limiting the field size. This will reduce the crashing caused by huge fields (often with unskilled cyclists) on a circuit course.

From a conceptual basis it would be very interesting and quite a bit of fun to race this format. Logistically it would be a nightmare. How do you limit worlds to 50 or so competitors. Do you break it apart by age group(s)? How would qualifying work? Top three from each country? I think you would need to work backwards from the totals at previous worlds to determine the correct numbers by country.

It would make worlds more prestigious as only the best AG triathletes would be there.

Rocketboy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev and all,

It was withdrawn by the Brazilian Federation at Congress. The resolution was not presented, nor was there a vote upon it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a different note, did anyone happen to read the part about the Lifetime Fitness triathlon? That was pretty harsh.. I think the ITU is just pissed it's on the same date/close to the same date as Cornerbrook and the best athletes won't be goign to the WC event..
Quote Reply
Re: Draft Legal Age Group Tri World's ??? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...yeah, this one was classic:

Resolution 10: ITU Executive Board

Whereas, the following competition formats are not recognised by ITU and do not operate under the various legal and technical requirements of ITU: Ironman, Powerman, X-Terra; Battle of the Sexes;

What is funny is that member federations of the ITU are actually sanctioning and providing the insurance for a number of Ironman and Powerman events !

So are they going to throw out member federations that sanction Ironmans in their own country ? For example, USAT and Ironman Hawaii ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

The third paragraph does indicate that it is the NF that is responsible for these events. I think this is mainly for doping issues and who is responsible for dealing out punishment. I.e. At the Olympics, it is the I.O.C., at World Champs, it is the ITU, and at locally sanctioned events (like Ironman), it is the NF. Of course, in dealing with doping matters, each NF's policies are supposed to conform to the ITU's policies which in turn are supposed to conform to WADA's. In essense, I would guess that the ITU is just trying to make it clear that they're not responsible for the Ironman/XTerra athletes that test positive.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Draft Legal Age Group Tri World's ??? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" For the sake of argument, how many World Championships, National Championships and Regional races have you been to where the AG packs on the bike were just rolling along w/ no penalties being given out and nothing being done to break them apart?"

Cancun 2002 - And i'll tell you who the main culprits were... The Blue and Red of the Brits!!! I know you blokes probably have draft legal races over there... However us Canucks and Aussies were HOT (figuratively and literally) We were planning on stealing all your women at the after party!

P.S. before I catch some serious heat for this.. It is mostly tongue in cheek. There were a number of pacelines that came by me (complete with hand signals) I just noticed one Blue and red orca clad group in particular. Furthermore, i'm just bitter because I choked for the 2003/2004 team in the qualifier :)
Quote Reply