Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerodynamic Question
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'm pretty new here but I've already seen a lot of threads on aero advantages of different products, so here is my bizarre question. If dimples help your disk and you as the rider are the biggest factor in determining your overall drag, is there an optimal amount of hair to have on your legs? Shaving seems de rigour but is it really the most efficient? Just a late night stream of conciousness kind of question.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Question [hammydad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hammydad,

I think shaving the legs is more of a health issue than an aerodynamic issue.

Should you fall and scrape your leg, it is far easier and less painful to clean and treat the wound, if the hair is gone. As a result, the wound heals faster, too.

It is also easier and less painful during massages of the legs.

Oh, I almost forgot, shaved legs look cool to some and can be intimidating to others. First thought on seeing an unknown rider with shaved legs, watch out, this guy looks like a serious cyclist.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Last edited by: Wants2rideFast: Dec 8, 04 5:24
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Question [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben is right, it's more of a health issue. Road rash will heal much faster and leave less scars on shaved legs. Also easier for massaging and putting sunscreen on.

Even for swimmers shaving down doesn't produce substantialy less drag, it's more of a psychological benefit. You just feel faster in the water right after you shaved down.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply