Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running... After 10+ Years Off
Quote | Reply
For those who don't know, I'm a cyclist who is attempting a conversion to the dark side (half-IM). My horrendous swimming is well-chronicled in other threads. In this one, it's all about the running.

With something like 8 or so runs under my belt (I hadn't run in a decade plus), I'm cruising through 5-6 mile runs at a ~9min pace mostly Z2. I'm happy with this progress. For the first few runs, I was in Z3, even at that slow pace. But for whatever reason, the HR has dropped 10-15 bpm already with the same pace/effort. Legs are definitely the limiter, since they aren't used to running. No problem... until I stop. Wow, the knees feel miiiiiiiiiighty stiff/painful when I bend my leg (i.e., a quad stretch or squatting down). That goes away after 10 minutes.

What doesn't go away for a solid 4-6 hours is an odd fatigue/pain in my achilles area, or really just above it. It feels like soreness, the kind you get the day after lifting weights. Strange. I'm flexible, but don't stretch prior to running. Huh.

I'm also finding that the temptation to run faster is *immense*. The first mile I just want to quit, but after that, it's the opposite and I have to hold myself back. I keep thinking of Friel/Gordo's "Going Long" comments about working on endurance for *years* before running faster. Bo-ring. Plus, faster running seems smoother and, well, fluid. I didn't think I'd like it, but I really do look forward to my runs now.

I'm getting in 2 runs/wk now, looking to add to this by tacking on a short run after a bike session or two.

Feel free to comment on any of this stuff.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Running... After 10+ Years Off [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't say how much you are riding. Perhaps you should trade some bike workouts for runs in order to focus on improving your run limiter. I would suggest that instead of 2 x 5-6 miles each week, you should make room in your schedule for more frequent running. Start with 4 days a week of 2 x 3 miles, 1 x 4 miles, and 1 x 6 miles. Make one of the 3 milers very (VERY) easy. On the other 3 miler and the 4 miler throw in some accelerations where you gradually speed up to a comfortably fast pace, hold it for less than 30 seconds, then ease back to your normal pace. This should satisfy your need for speed and help you to improve your mechanics, and by allowing full recovery between these accelerations you avoid accumulating lactic acid (and residual soreness). Do these "pick-ups" on a slight downgrade or with a tailwind at first until you get comfortable with the feeling of running fast.

I realize that I don't have the whole picture on your current training and background, but I think you should be working toward a program similar to the basic outline I've laid out above. Then as you adapt to that workload you could gradually add additional runs and distance. I'm sure that you'll receive plenty of advice, some similar to mine and some contrary, but in order to be more specific I think you need to give a better description of your background and your current training structure (including swim, bike, lifting, etc.).

Quote | Reply
Don't expect this process to be pretty.

I suspect you have a set of shoes that are not doing the job for you. I don't have any good guidance other than to try different shoes or even orthodics. Pay attention to this problem because it can shut you down.

Don't be surprised by having a series of injuries. Running just pounds on you. There is just no getting around it.

The best advice I can give you that you won't find commonly offered is to lose weight, if that is at all possible. It will help all aspects of running and training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most dangerous runner in the world is the fit cyclist. You have lots of leg strength and good areobic development, but the sad fact is that you have been sitting on your ass for years. Working hard, building strength, but sitting on your ass.

So, you have good enough legs and lungs to do 5-6 mile 9 minute pace runs right off the bat, but lots of ligaments and tendons that aren't used to pounding. That's bbbaaadddd news. Unless you are lucky enough to be under 30, have great shoes for you and perfect biomechanics, you are, oh, I'd say 2-8 weeks away from your first overuse injury.

You really need to sneak into this. You have MONTHS to get yourself ready to run a 1/2 marathon. Doing 5-6 mile runs right now vs. 2-3 mile runs right now won't matter a hill of beans on your 1/2 mary time running off the bike months from now. Getting hurt and not being able to run (and maybe bike depending on the nature of the injury) for 4-6 weeks somewhere in the process could add an hour to your 1/2 IM time.

I would run more frequently, but less distance for awhile. For a few weeks, just run 2-3 miles at a time, and try to get up to 5-6 times a week. Gradually add a 1/2 mile or mile per run until your running 4-5 miles 5-6 times a week. At that point, you'll have enough miles in the legs to cut the frequency a bit but start upping the distance on 1 of your runs per week until you get to your longest run, which should be 10-15 miles and come 2-3 weeks before the 1/2 IM. And if you are compelled to run fast, toss in 4-5 30 second strides every other run, but don't go thinking "I'll run this 3 miles as fast as I can 1 x per week for the next month just to see how I'm doing."

As for that pain you are feeling, it's likely a tight soleus muscle that's contracting the achilles and giving you some pain in both the muscle and the achilles. That could result in achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis. Google soleus stretch and start doing that on both legs AFTER you run. Also, check out www.tpmassageball.com, there calf roller thing does a good job of working out the kinks in the soleus and the gastroc.

Be patient Grasshopper.
Quote Reply