Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

May move to Pee Dee (S Carolina)
Quote | Reply
I am considering a move from SW Ohio to South Carolina: the Pee Dee region. Whats the tri scene here. Masters swimming, riding, off pave running. Would like to spend the weekends in the ocean surfing and sailing, any recommendations?

"Get out on your bike!" Luka Bloom

Dick Chartier

"Get up on your bike" Luka Bloom
Quote Reply
Re: May move to Pee Dee (S Carolina) [PrunePicker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, that's really the name of a place? and here i thought Pee Dee Pride was just a bad name for a hockey team

k
Quote Reply
Re: May move to Pee Dee (S Carolina) [KDM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea, thats the name. Named after an Indian Tribe. Assume thats an anglo spelling.

"Get out on your bike! Luka Bloom

Dick Chartier

"Get up on your bike" Luka Bloom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know about the training scene but you should check out www.set-upinc.com and the Palmetto Series. There is even a race called Tri the Pee Dee. I have done a couple of races in the series and although not as competitive (in my opinion) as the NC series, it looks to be getting more competive and there are some very good racers down there and it is easy to slip to NC or Ga for additional races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What has you wanting to move to the Pee Dee area?

==================================
but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mantis is correct. There are plenty of races around...within a few hours drive. The Palmetto (South Carolina Series) Series fields aren't as deep as the NCTriSeries (both put on by Set-up, Inc.), but, the top guys are similar....there's always a few barn-burners in every race, even if the NC series races often have more participants. There is also the Endurance Development series, and a couple of other races. I have a list in front of me of just the NC and SC races for 2005, more than 40, and that isn't supposed to be comprehensive at all...just triathlons and 3 duathlons. I'd be surprised if there weren't 60+ more races if you include off road stuff. Then, there's always Georgia....

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I lived in the Pee Dee for close to 6 years. I can say the only good thing is now gone, since I married her and moved away. We were in Florence / Lake City. The only slightly good thing I can say is that since the area is so empty, there are a lot of good riding routes, and the bike club is pretty strong with a very active membership. The size of the group rides and # of people who travel together for out of town races is very good for the population.

www.pedalpack.org

There is no masters swimming group unless they started one in the last 18 months since we moved. Just north there are some good trail running areas, in the Sand Hills state forest. They have quite a few miles of decently well packed trails that I always used when I was bumping my distance up to prevent injuries. If you enjoy water though I would have to recommend moving farther north Wilmington, NC or south to Charleston. Myrtle Beach does not have enough open water access for sailing, all of their maritime infrastructure is on the ICW and it is a long way between inlets. It is much easier in Wilmington and Charleston to get to water, and Charleston Harbor is almost big enough to constitute open water. Each of these towns has several triathlons per year, and an active running, swimming and biking community. The roads unfortunately have more traffic and are not in the best shape for road cycling.

Just so you know my biases, my wife and I live in the suburbs of Charleston, and her sister lives in Wilmington. It was partly cloudy today, but got up to 80 deg. I was actually complaining about the heat when I ran tonight. Also, if by any odd chance you are considering employment with a Taiwanese plastics company located in the area, DO NOT.

http://www.charlestontriathlonclub.com

http://coastalcyclists.org/

http://www.theextramileinc.com/

http://www.charlestonrunningclub.com/

http://www.swimsmrt.com/

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Re: May move to Pee Dee (S Carolina) [Trippertim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are things down in Chuck-town?!?! I lived there two years. Was 5-0 with the city PD. Lived in Mt. P., over by the high school. I would love to move back, or at least own a beach home on Sullivan's. haha!

==================================
but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply