Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me give my kids' old bikes away
Quote | Reply
Looking for good charitable ventures (preferably near Metro DC/Balt) to receive perfectly adequate kids' bicycles. My kids are in the phase where they grow like weeds (my 11 yo daughter is now 5'6") and the bikes need to be replaced every couple of years. EBay is too much of a pain in the ass, and I would rather put these bikes under the fanny of a kids who need them.

Any ideas?

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Help me give my kids' old bikes away [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone on that area able to help this guy out?

Try PMing Mr. Tibbs. He is in Texas but is the founder of Team Secondhand Racing, he might have some ideas.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Help me give my kids' old bikes away [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took me a while to find the info, but here's an organization in Chicago that sounds like just the ticket. I realize it won't do you any good in the DC/Baltimore area, but you might be able to contact Working Bikes here in Chi and they might be able to turn you onto a similar organization near you.

About the Working Bikes Cooperative

Working Bikes Cooperative recovers landfill-bound bicycles, repairs them to working condition, and sells them to Chicagoans at a low cost in order to fund shipments of bicycles and bike parts to developing countries. Working Bikes Coop is mostly volunteer.

Mission Statement: The Working Bikes Cooperative is a non-profit organization whose mission is to empower communities by engaging in activities that promote environmentalism, public health, and human equality. The Working Bikes cooperative recycles bicycles locally and delivers them to communities in need at low cost to provide sustainable development within their communities. Cooperative members organize through concepts of volunteerism, collective decision making, self-empowerment, cooperative learning, and cultural diversity.

History: Since its inception in 2001, the Working Bikes Cooperative has shipped thousands of bikes and parts to Nicaragua, Cuba, Kenya, and Ghana. However, Working Bikes is always looking for new recipients of our bikes and/or parts. If your organization is interested in a partnership, please contact us.[/b]
In February 2003, Working Bikes Cooperative was chosen as one of the recipients of the 2003 Chicago Area Transportation Study's Soles and Spokes Award for outstanding improvements to the walking and cycling environments in northeastern Illinois. Also in 2003, the efforts of Working Bikes Cooperative came to the forefront in pieces done by local PBS affiliate WTTW Channel 11, the local newspaper Chicago Tribune, and the NPR radio show Worldview.
Quote Reply