Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Snowshoeing?
Quote | Reply
In a moment of over-enthusiastic and poorly thought out eBaying on Saturday, it appears that I've acquired a pair of running snowshoes (a used pair of Tubbs 10K). I now realize I haven't the foggiest notion of what it entails. A few (!) questions:

1. Anyone have any good online resources for winter snowshoe running?

2. What kind of shoes do you wear with them?

3. Do you need gaiters?

4. Clothing - dress like you would for a run? Need more layers?

5. Do XC Skiers mind if you use their trails?

6. Are running snowshoes okay for the fresh stuff, or do you need to go on groomed trails?

7. Poles? No poles?

8. Tips, tricks, hints, etc?

As always, your help is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Snowshoeing? [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife & I showshoe a bit, but since I always go with here I don't get to run. This is just from practical experience...

I would dress similar to XC skiing (a little heavier than running), as you'll work up a sweat. The purpose of snowshoes is to prevent you from sinking in the snow, so it's not as fun to run/walk on packed trails, head for the deep stuff. I always wear hiking boots that are waterproof (goretex Xcr) and would probably use gaiters if I had them, as my pant-legs always get wet. Poles help if the snow is deep, less necessary if you're on packed trails. We've had tons of fun just taking normal hiking trails after big snow storms, as everything is totally different and we're usually the only ones out there. Have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a skier and a showshoer- please don't share our trails- when the groomers do a good job the trails are smooth as silk and people walking in them just messes them up- there should be plenty of trails that aren't groomed, or go on the far side of the ski trails at least. Poles are useful, especially if you are going on hills, otherwise, not crucial but a good way to get your upper body incorporated into the workout. I usually wear trail running shoes- a little heavier, warmer and hopefully a little more waterproof. HAve fun!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In a moment of over-enthusiastic and poorly thought out eBaying on Saturday, it appears that I've acquired a pair of running snowshoes (a used pair of Tubbs 10K). I now realize I haven't the foggiest notion of what it entails. A few (!) questions:

3. Do you need gaiters?

6. Are running snowshoes okay for the fresh stuff, or do you need to go on groomed trails?

7. Poles? No poles?

As always, your help is appreciated.

Congratulations! Snowshoeing is just about the most fun I've had on snow in a long time. You are in Toronto, right? There is plenty of good snowshoeing in the Don Valley Golf Course, or in Sunnybrook park, once the snow sticks.

To answer your questions:

1. Dunno

2. I wear normal running shoes. Just like running in the snow, you might want warmer socks (or higher-than-ankle socks), but you'll not notice the wet, especially if you are moving.

3. I don't wear gaiters - just stay away from a lycra outer layer (snow tends to stick) - go for nylon pants.

4. Definitely don't dress warmer than a run. Snowshoeing is tough work, especially in fresh snow. You'll regret it if you dress too warm.

5/6. Try not to use XC trails - snowshoes chew them up. Some places have dedicated snowshoe trails (e.g. Horseshoe). Plus, you'll not go nearly as far as the skiiers. Kind of like comparing biking to running. If you are trying new snow, you'll go slower, but work harder (and work those hip flexors big time). You can also try packed snow (or well-worn footpaths), if you want speed.

7. No. Use those stability muscles!

8. Have fun! You are in for some good times. The best fun is careening down a deep snow-covered hill...be prepared to laugh!

ccy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lot's of good suggestions here. The nylon pants are essential. The tail of you snowshoe throws up a lot of snow. If you wear tights alone they will get covered and cold. Running shoes are the way to go for running on snowshoes. Smartwool socks are great. You can find some training information on www.racingunderground.com which also information about Darrin's clinic if you happen to get to Colorado.
Quote Reply
Re: Snowshoeing? [ccy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help, all.

Don't nylon pants get kinda warm? Any cheap ones you recommend, like from Mountain equipment Co-Cp?

I was thinking about Sunnybrook, as it's 5 minutes from my home. Where in Sunnybrook do you recommend? As well, how is High Park for trails?

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nylon pants:

I use ones from an old 'warm up' suit - you know, the ones with a matching nylon wind breaker? They can get warm, but if you wear light clothes on the top and a light layer below, you'll be fine. I often wear these types of pants running in the winter, with light (lycra) tights underneath. That seems to suit me, and I'm a heavy sweater.

Sunnybrook:

I park at the bottom of Serena Gundy park or at the bottom of the hospital access road, then run up toward the top level fields. A decent loop (doesn't sound far, but it is a workout) is around those fields. If you can recall the woodchip pathway that circumnavigates the fields, follow it, and go through the woods above Edwards Gardens.

High Park:

Never been snowshoeing there, so I can't comment, but I'd think it'd be good.

Try the Golf Course, too. In the winter, there are skiiers and snowshoers there, so there are decent worn paths.

ccy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt Matt Matt...dude..you're already strong and fit enough..don't worry about your upcoming forray into IM territory..this is the off season man. Let those nice snowshoes sit against your bike (now sitting firmly in the trainer) and collect dust. Have you learned nothing from me? It's all about the transition man. Besides..do you really think you'll be able to beat fatherof2 next year? Nooo! Let it be and go fill out some more thank you notes. And send some to the people who really matter who didn't get invited to your wedding
Quote Reply
Re: Snowshoeing? [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being on the trainer only bores me...looking for some fun in the snow -- might be fun, as the dog can join me. As for the thank-you notes, that's the wife's job.

In lieu of a thank you note, I'll buy the next couple of rounds for turning me onto the Marin.
Quote Reply
Re: Snowshoeing? [ccy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hmmmm.

Trail running shoes are good. Preferably goretex. Running shoes are fine, but you're feet will be wet.

3. Do you need gaiters?

Great for deep snow. The only problem is they may get too warm. I like keeping the snow out of my shoes.

Dress like a run.

Yes.

It'll be harder on fresh stuff, but do-able.

7. Poles? No poles?

No poles.

In powder, big bounding steps on the downhills. VERY fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish we had enough snow here to make snowshoe running a viable alternative.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply