Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

An IM Training Experiment
Quote | Reply
Been having a tough time nailing the nutrition. Training nutrition works fine. Racing nutrition does not. In order to stay the course I’m in need of encouragement. I want to know what is possible IF I were to get the nutrition puzzle figured out. What say you to the following experiment?

A Swim-Bike brick of 1:15 and 5:00, followed by a 1/2Marathon race 14 hrs later?

I ‘m thinking that the fatigue from the S-B brick would still be lingering as I started the ½ but the glycogen tanks would be full, essentially negating the nutrition challenge. The ½ marathon in this experiment would give me approximate “best scenario” information for the IM run.
Quote Reply
Re: An IM Training Experiment [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only done one IM, so, take my advice for what it's worth....I think you'll get more nutrition information from doing a 4 hour bike followed by a 1.5 hour run. I'm not a good swimmer...about like your estimated time, but, swimming just doesn't seem to affect my nutrition regimen. However, riding a long time followed by a brick run DOES tell me a lot about my nutrition strategy. I'm not sure I'd learn much about my nutrition plan from a swim/bike brick followed by a run the next day.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: An IM Training Experiment [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thoughts. I've had quite a few of those 4/1 - 4/2 - 5/1 hr bricks...without the gi distress I see in IM. Its no doubt a pacing-nutrition dynamic that is not present during training.

I'm not really trying to test the nutrition in this experiment. I'm testing more what is possible assuming the nutritional needs are met..

After thinking about this a little more the presuppositions are:

1) The fatigue of the SB brick will be present in good-enough measure to test the run ability.
2) 14 hrs will be enough time to restock the glygogen stores.
3) Add say 1min/mile to pace that I'm able to do the 1/2 Mary will give me the approximate IM run pace under optimal nutritional conditions...which is what I'm after...

All three may be too weak to give me any real useful data but I think I'll have fun giving it a go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, if you've successfully done the long bike with a good run afterward and your nutrition holds up, it's probably pacing during the race that throws a wrench into the gut.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did exactly this before Hawaii. Swam 1hr/Cycled 5hrs and then a 1/2 marathon the next day. Nutritionally there is not much benefit to you. The only real results from the experiment is how well you will run with the risidual fatigue from the swim/bike combo the day before. And at that its not too much fatigue because of the rest period in between, and the low impact nature of both /swimming and cycling.

Id say the most benefit of working out nutrition would be exact simulation of a race by doing a brick with many race efforts and seeing how your nutrition holds up in the run. Swim/bike bricks are fine to do, but there isnt that much value compared to bike/run bricks.

pinkboy

In the power never given to me in the name of slowman, king high ruler and Grand Hunky Poo Ba of the blessed land of Slowtwitchia I dub thee "Sir pinkboy the Awsomator" This honor is given to thee for the reason of being not only freakin' awsome but totally sweet. By the use of the color Pink to fly your freak flag and bring smiles to frowny faces. *Mr. Tibbs*

Quote Reply
Re: An IM Training Experiment [pinkboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Francois would scream at all of you for doing these kinds of aquathlons or bricks or whatever like that. I know if I were your coach, I would.

If it's a pacing issue that's got you going into GI upset, do a long 6 hour bike, with certain short periods at IM race pace, then a 40 min. run at higher heartrates, and see what that does. Chances are, you need to find out what foods you can tolerate at harder paces, and that "fatigue" on the run the next day will do very little to help you settle this out.

Your body isn't going to know that your SB or your 5/1 brick is a training event. It's going to think it's a race, and you've only got so many good ones in the tank for the season. Don't jeopardize your upcoming season when there are easy ways of accomplishing what you need to do to set up your IM race nutrition.

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: An IM Training Experiment [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it was only an experiment, and I achieved very little in terms of feedback for this to be a good training method, so I scrapped it. It was good for change, but not a real value session to make an improvement in my fitness. So I moved on. And for your information, I dont get GI, I have a fairly iron stomach usually. So I agree, do a brick on the day before the 1/2marathon, and then run the half with the residual fatigue to get a good indication of IM marathon pace.

pinkboy

In the power never given to me in the name of slowman, king high ruler and Grand Hunky Poo Ba of the blessed land of Slowtwitchia I dub thee "Sir pinkboy the Awsomator" This honor is given to thee for the reason of being not only freakin' awsome but totally sweet. By the use of the color Pink to fly your freak flag and bring smiles to frowny faces. *Mr. Tibbs*

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So I agree, do a brick on the day before the 1/2marathon, and then run the half with the residual fatigue to get a good indication of IM marathon pace.

pinkboy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must interject here.

My close friend did Kona this past year and of course related his race day story. It was a riveting tale as most of them are. But the one thing I recall most vividly is that as e was riding along he started to feel what seemed like rain drops on his arms.

Only to realize shortly thereafter that it was in fact vomit. Celebrity vomit, well minor celebrity anyway; it was from pinkboy. After adjusting his line on the road he passed our dear pinkboy who looked like hell but came out of that bad patch later to pass back most of the folks that had passed him.

So pinkboy's assertion that he doesn't get GI problems may not be ENTIRELY true. But I suppose if he says he doesn't suffer from them then he is speaking the truth.

Mostly I just had to mention that a good friend of mine got thrown up on by pinkboy, funniest thing I had heard in a long time.
Quote Reply
Re: An IM Training Experiment [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont get GI problems at all. Never in training, and never racing. I was throwing up at Kona because my HR was so high and hurting my chest area so much, that any pressure from down below was let to escape, and the only way was up. So I still stand by that I dont get GI problems. Hell, I eat sausage rolls, icecream, and Coke at a pitstop on a 6hr ride, no problems, even get off the bike and run for an hour, still no problems.

And your a bit sick yourself - Celebrity Vomit???

pinkboy

Quote Reply
Re: An IM Training Experiment [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with BK - I think the only way to simulate how your stomach is going to feel after 6 hours is to ride for 6 hours. I think doing the brick with periods of race pace will make a good simulation fo ryou.

Personally I don't have major nutrituion issues - but one thing I did while training for my first IM was do LONG days on the bike - repeatedly - i basically went on a 10-day bike tour one month before the race and rode 80 - 100 miles per day. This helped me a lot with fatigue and planning nutrition. but you'd need to be sure do do this type of training at least a month + out of your IM race and plan to do long day back to back.
Quote Reply