Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My e-mail to an RD re: rules and education
Quote | Reply
I received an e-mail from the RD of the Nautica Malibu Tri. Its subject was changes and improvements to the course. While reading, I decided to send her, the promoter, and a couple others an e-mail about the bike issues that we've been discussing here. Here's what I wrote:

"Hi, thanks for the e-mail and the proposed improvements in the race. The thought is greatly appreciated!

I have a request/suggestion. With the explosive growth we've witnessed in triathlon over the last five years, the average race participant has become less and less experienced. One result of this lack of experience is an ignorance of the rules, especially while on the bike, especially re: riding on the right and passing on the left. (As you probably know, many of the bike rules are in place for safety reasons. A slow rider taking up the left is a danger to faster riders approaching from behind.)

One remedy for this situation is education of the participants. How can we as a community (with the help of Race Directors) educate the participants about the rules? I and many others would appreciate some help from RDs and their employees and volunteers.

Would you be willing to add an extra, educational flyer to your "goodie bag" that participants receive at registration? (One page should be adequate.) Post a few signs in the transition area (note: I should have also requested them on the course, too. I'll suggest it in another e-mail)? Allow race officials to be proactive, and warn riders who are riding on the left and/or drafting?

These are but a few of the possible solutions to one growing problem I've seen in races. The triathlon community as a whole would benefit from just one or two extra steps by RDs and others who are in a position to address a wide group of participants, and who are willing to help educate re: the rules and safety of the race.

I and many others thank you for your anticipated attention to this matter.

Sincerely yours,

Gregory J. B."
Last edited by: The Square Peg: Sep 27, 05 10:22
Quote Reply
Re: My e-mail to an RD re: rules and education [GJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gregory
I think that was a good idea. If more of us become proactive and offer solutions, or even offer to help then the bike leg will become safer for all of us. Thanks

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply