Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nutrition debate
Quote | Reply
I was hoping some nutritionists out there might be able to give me some advice.

It has been posed to me in an argument that canned and/or freeze dried veggies are just as nutritional as fresh veggies from the produce section. I am a tad incredulous about this claim but can't really find any evidence either way.

What say you nutrionists and healthy eaters out there? Are canned veggies just as good for you as fresh veggies? Fruits too?
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition debate [martytram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on where you are getting this "fresh" produce.

I used to live in SoCal and now live in NC. I went to the market one day and picked up a cantaloupe that was very hard and cold. I asked the produce guy why and he said it had not completely defrosted yet. He said that they store them in near freezing temps while transporting, that it takes weeks to reach it's destination.

So, if you compare a "fresh" fruit that was picked weeks ago vs. frozen that was frozen the day it was picked, I would pick the frozen. Also, our nutritionist says that the canning process has improved and would put it right behind the frozen. So, fresh, frozen, canned, "fresh" picked weeks ago, in my opinion.

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the most part I believe they are. In SOME cases they are better. As long as nothing is added (sugar, preservatives etc), they can be better simply because in a lot of cases they are picked and packaged the same day. Whereas some veggies and fruits are picked way too early and ripen on the way to your store. That way, they aren't able to grow to maturity and you miss out getting the most out of your veggie/fruit.

You just really need to watch and read the labels of what you are purchasing. The fruits especially. I always buy the fruit and veggies without any syrup or sugars/salt added to the mix. And I personally believe buying those huge bags of veggies is only good if you plan on eating them all within the week. Sitting in your freezer is not especially good for them.

But that is just my 2 cents. I am not a nutritionist. Just a consumer who reads a lot.

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"fresh" frozen vegetables that have not been cooked or additives have not been introduced are likely to have similar nutrition characteristics to their fresh equivalents.

frozen cooked vegetables that have been subject to blanching and high heat processes (such as spinach) are going to be less nutritious then their fresh cooked brethern.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition debate [TnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to post pretty much the same thing TnT said.

Some veggies actually are better canned than fresh(tomatos have more lycopene and pumpkins have more Vitamin A), but it's hard buying canned stuff as you have to watch for added sugar and sodium (lots of sodium in some cans).

I buy fresh veggies and fruits when they are in season, and I only buy locally grown ones, usually picked the same morning or a day earlier (bananas and pears, which are my favorite fruit, being the only exceptions that I eat all year). Some "fresh" produce sold in grocery stores has been picked more than a year before it made it to the store. During winter, I buy frozen veggies, as they were ripe when frozen.
Last edited by: bitwiz: Dec 2, 04 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition debate [bitwiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input so far. This issue is a little more complext than I anticipated.
Quote Reply